Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Been lurking on here for a while now, trying to take it all in, and appreciate all the input from the regulars on here.

Done a 1 day Intro course, then joined my local association and now several weeks into a practical course.

Bought my 1st hive a few months ago, but like many struggled to source 1st bees. However my asociation came good a couple of weeks ago, and bought in some commercial hives which they have split between a few of us.

Week one was a nice quiet start, but the activity really picked up this week with some better weather. Lots of pollen going in. Old frames that the bees came on are now almost full, though they seem reluctant to draw the new ones yet. Does it need to be warmer for that?

They will draw it when they need to although some are a bit slower than others. A small feed of 1:1 sugar syrup may help.

Hi. I have a couple of commercial hives. Very good hives. Goid frame shape to inspect compared to other large brood boxes

... Old frames that the bees came on are now almost full, though they seem reluctant to draw the new ones yet. Does it need to be warmer for that?

How many frames is that?

A few frames of bees in a big hive can have difficulty getting enough heat to do much ...

How many frames is that?

A few frames of bees in a big hive can have difficulty getting enough heat to do much ...

Good point. Currently on 4 full frames of bees, good brood pattern on each now with a couple of frames very full of stores. Dummy board in, frames warm way round.

Been feeding syrup since they arrived. Typically 18 degrees outside most days.

Good point. Currently on 4 full frames of bees, good brood pattern on each now with a couple of frames very full of stores. Dummy board in, frames warm way round.

Been feeding syrup since they arrived. Typically 18 degrees outside most days.

One frame of stores is enough.
Your queen needs room to lay and there is forage out there so stop feeding or small as they are they may swarm

Latest posts

Back