Hello from the Peak District

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your message. We received the hive from the makers and assembled it, which was good fun especially as there were no pictures and we had never seen one "in the flesh". It is sitting in the greenhouse at the moment while we think about what to do next. We have been debating as to whether we have the time, the physical strength and the will to follow it up. Our initial idea had just been to replicate the wild bees' colony in our roof. We didn't know that we would have to actually do anything more than provide an extra living space and let them make up their own minds about whether they wanted to move in or not.

I imagine that we shall not be going ahead with becoming bee keepers and that the hive will end up as a garden feature along with the bird tables and other bits of decorative wood and iron that are scattered about the place.

Cedar wood smells lovely, doesn't it? Makes me think of all those pencils we used to have to sharpen in class on those funny little grey metal desktop machines!

I imagine that we shall not be going ahead with becoming bee keepers and that the hive will end up as a garden feature along with the bird tables and other bits of decorative wood and iron that are scattered about the place.

In that case make sure you seal the entrance to prevent thousands of squatters moving in!

Do you know something? I really want you to get interested in beekeeping......you sound as though you are just the right sort of people to LOVE it...... I put my pond pump in my first home made hive! Then I bought a real one for the bees!
E :)

Yes Moggett, we would have to seal up the entrance. As we have so many woodpeckers in and around our garden, not to mention bats and owls, I'm sure that someone will adapt it to suit their needs given time.

One large hole in the garden is currently hosting a colony of bumblebees, a mouse nest and a large toad ��

Our main problem is that we are no longer in the full flush of youth and lifting heavy objects is often followed by back problems for days afterwards. We are not quite resigned to buying only annuals for the garden, but it's getting close.

....Our main problem is that we are no longer in the full flush of youth and lifting heavy objects is often followed by back problems for days afterwards.....

You wouldn't be the only one on here with a bad back......

Latest posts

Back