Hello from South Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1001Mike

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just joined the forum. Set up my first hive last July. Bees have done well over winter (had a steady supply of ambrosia) and are becoming more active on sunny mornings (yes, we do get sunshine here!).
Can't wait for my first honey harvest.
1001Mike

Welcome... I'll give you the statutory warning. Whenever 3 bee keepers are gathered together there are 4 opinions on the 'right way' to do things. There are hundreds of bee keepers on here.

This is a fantastic resource, there are loads of really helpful people. You started just two months after me. I hope you are getting as much pleasure from the little beasts as I am.

So you have been beekeeping since May 2013.......that makes you an expert!!
Thanks for the welcome.
1001Mike

Definitely not an expert. Every time I visit the bees I feel that they are at greater risk from me than me from them! I just didn't want to say 'don't believe 95% of what you read on here and take the rest with a pinch of salt' :)

Last edited:
Just joined the forum. Set up my first hive last July. Bees have done well over winter (had a steady supply of ambrosia) ...

Welcome, Mike.

But it is probably better to get the feeding finished (and the feeder removed) in Autumn.
Quite apart from possible health effects on the bees, the beekeeper attention and skill requirements are *increased* by a colony coming out of winter with too much stores remaining. In spring, the broodbox, essentially all of it, is required for brood. Excess stores become a liability, increasing the probability of swarming!

Welcome

Hi Mike
I am another 1st year novice - mine came in June last year.
Like yours my bees have so far survived winter and look OK on the few dry days we have had
Fingers crossed for a reasonable year...

Welcome.

"Mike" is a name for intelligent and thoughtful posters :paparazzi:

Novice here too. June last year.

Bit of a baptism of fire as my 14x12 with tbs arrived as a national and I had to add extensions. My mentor was great. - but he hadn't done that to Frames in use.

Then the 2013 queen became a drone layer and had to be replaced.

The long autumn and ivy was a godsend. Still taking in pollen in November so I think I had enough bees to get through.

Put on fondant in January. Just taken most if it now. Flying. Bringing in pollen.

One of the things I a glad I did was get some 460*460 polycarbonate covers. Able to see without touching or cooling.

Good luck all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome:

Hi there, don't be afraid to ask questions... we all have (even if we thought them too basic). We all have to learn.. and some 'experienced ' beekeepers still learn new methods.
Just enjoy the bees.. my golden rule.. look at the bees if they need looking at for a specific reason- not just for your entertainment. Difficult when new , but they will appreciate your consideration.
I use a cover cloth when I open the hive, and v.v. rarely use smoke. They appreciate that too :cheers2:

Hi

Hope you get as much info from this site as i have. A lot of different opinions though, so it can be difficult to sort out what is valid. But it all helps : )

Gom

I have been having one of those weeks which, outside the hive, we humans would rather not have. Road rage, insurance, etc, etc. Never been there before and do not wish a repeat of it. Sending off data to one of the innumerable agencies now involved I noticed "Bee Forum". Thank God for sane and reason-able people. I had registered way back in April, I think it was.
Some background: kept bees for 30 years in SW Scotland. I describe myself as a 'lazy beekeeper' having heard talk about such in an association meeting many years ago. Have always regarded the smoker as an offensive weapon. I have never been able to identify a queen inside a hive, ever. Truth is, I just don't look for them. Nor do I trawl thru hives for any reason other than stealing honey. It is stealing! But, stings aside, totally addictive.
Get stung? Yup, lots of times. I am not au fait with a lot of the electronic gubbins that proliferate this life. But there are some that, for beekeepers, are absolutely wonderful. Do I have Varroa? No but my bees do. Anything effective out there? This is turning into a tome. It'll do fur the noo.

Latest posts

Back