Hello from Maine!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marktripp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hey all just figured I'd give a shout out! I'm a new"bee", still waiting to take a class. I've been making good use of my time though and watching a ton of YouTube, reading free literature, asking questions, and of course now joined this wonderful place :) my plan is 3 hives with Italian bees nestled in Langstroth hives. Glad I found this place! Now if syrup season would get here I'd be that much closer to bees!!

Welcome, marktripp!

Good to heve you join us.

It's a strange time, isn't it - having decided on this path but not yet started on it.
A year ago I also was waiting to get going, but I was able to read and prepare like you. But not for a single moment have I regretted starting.

What sort of courses and support are available in your neck of the woods?

Hope you enjoy the Forum. Often quirky, sometimes contentious and cranky - but always stimulating and thought provoking.

Dusty.

Hey all just figured I'd give a shout out! I'm a new"bee", still waiting to take a class. I've been making good use of my time though and watching a ton of YouTube, reading free literature, asking questions, and of course now joined this wonderful place :) my plan is 3 hives with Italian bees nestled in Langstroth hives. Glad I found this place! Now if syrup season would get here I'd be that much closer to bees!!

Welcome

hope we don't confuse you with all our talk of smiths,nationals commercials supers and 14x12s , just our quaint names for our quirky hives...once you learn our lanuage it will seem very similar to the USA hives

Make sure you get six hives, then, Mark.

Well thanks for the welcome. Is this a UK mostly site? Not that I have problems with the folks across the pond. In my area there are some bee groups that offer beginner classes every year, signing up for one in march. I've also been a YouTube freak like I said and currently reading "beekeeping basics"

Six hives? Excuse my ignorance here. Are you insinuating ill be whacked with a bee addiction or having enough woodware to split?

Welcome Mark,

No no just to be sure you have enough woodwork to be going on with. I think we leave can you to get addicted on your own, but then you may well need another 6 or would that be 6 + 6 +?

Ian

I'm planning on 6-7 deeps and probably 8-9 shallows, along with 100 each frames, screen boards, reducer, inner/outer covers, queen excluder, how's that sound? Plus smoker, suit(s), brush, hive tools

I'm planning on 6-7 deeps and probably 8-9 shallows, along with 100 each frames, screen boards, reducer, inner/outer covers, queen excluder, how's that sound? Plus smoker, suit(s), brush, hive tools

Ah yes, plans...I remember planning to have just the one colony...
:D

I believe a minimum is reckoned to be 3 shallows (National) to one hive, it does not mean we can't use more, I have had up to 4 / 5 /6 shallows on a hive to suit a crop. It is a starting point though. Before we had enough shallows to go round it meant 2 boxes on each hive & 1 in the car going to or from extracting each week. It all depends on the nectar flow in your local area.

Our langstroth deep brood boxes take 10 frames, for a super box this is reduced to 9 frames.
Will you have top or frame feeders

Six hives? Excuse my ignorance here. Are you insinuating ill be whacked with a bee addiction or having enough woodware to split?

Enough wood to split, mate. If only for a short period to control swarming.

:welcome:
What is the weather like with you at the minute. Spring is trying to make an appearance here but winter keeps poking its head out again!

:welcome:

Hi, say hello to Stephen King for me. I'm currently working through Duma Key.

(Sorry, is that akin to an American asking a Brit to say hello to the queen?)

So it's been a long time since I've been on here :-/ I've now got my 3 hives home. It will be a week on Thursday but they've been going since around the 8th or 9th. I ended up with 5 frame nucs from a local bee keeper. I'm planning on opening them this week weather permitting.

So it's been a long time since I've been on here :-/ I've now got my 3 hives home. It will be a week on Thursday but they've been going since around the 8th or 9th. I ended up with 5 frame nucs from a local bee keeper. I'm planning on opening them this week weather permitting.

And now the fun starts...................... :D
Remember to have some sort of 'plan' before going in don't spend too much time in there - don't panic if things look a bit strange - and most of all, enjoy!

Latest posts

Back