Hello from France!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApiFR

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Hi all!

I've been a long time reader and registered a while back. I would like to introduce myself so that we start knowing each other a bit more!

We live in the North East of France, in the countryside. We had the idea of getting a hive for several years. Since we are very much interested in traditional gardening, aiming at preserving local flowers, vegetables, fruits and other plants, bee keeping seemed like the logical next step. And as you all know, as soon as you start digging the subject, it opens up an incredibly fascinating new realm to your eyes.

To cut a long story short, we put up a hive in our garden earlier this year, just one for the moment, to see how it goes. More may come at a later stage! So far our bees are doing well, the hive is well and clean except for some varroa. And I got stung only once, which I guess it a small victory!

Since one of my other passions is photography, I hope I'll be able to contribute with nice pictures. Shots outside the hive are fine so far (see below a few shots I made this summer), but I'm not ready to remove my gloves and take pictures with the hive open yet! I'm amazed when people manipulate frames with bare hands!

I take the opportunity to thank you all for your contributions to this forum, it helps a lot with everything, from every day little chores to broader topics such as environmental protection.

Best regards from France!

:welcome:

on the subject of photograpy, using latex gloves will both give you protection and the ability to manage a camera's smaller controls or touch screens.

Welcome!
Do you have problems with Vespa Velutina? What measures are recommended against it in France?

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

@wessexmario, thanks for the tip, I'll try the latex gloves next spring!

@boca, I personnally did not see any where I live and I hope I won't! There is an official action plan in place, focusing on preventing, monitoring and fighting vespa velutina nigrithorax. Here is the document, for the French-speaking members: http://agriculture.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/DGALN20138082_cle85fd7f-1.pdf.

The goal is to minimise its impact on beehives. The preventing part of the plan is mainly about informing the beekeepers on the subject. With regards to monitoring, the data collection is well organised. There is a "live" map of France where you can see where it was spotted and reported to the authorities: http://inpn.mnhn.fr/espece/cd_nom/433589 (scroll down a bit to see the map). So far none was reported in my area, luckily. I guess it's just a matter of time.

In terms on fighting the Asian hornet, I've not heard anything different from what is done in other countries. The recommendation is for beekeepers to put traps around the hives, and for anyone to report any nest they see so that it can be destroyed.

The fact is that it's spreading further every year but who knows, it may have been quicker without this action plan.

Latest posts

Back