Hello from Ayrshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auchencloigh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
2 (empty hives)
I am a wannabe; I did the course with Ayrshire Beekeepers in spring,have been reading books, bought 2 second hand Smiths hives, spent many many years worth of Christmas money at Thornes sale a couple of weeks ago, am totally addicted to bees and driving everyody nuts just talking about them. To cap it all, I am hoping to get real bees next year.
My big question is where to site the hives. I have 2 options: one is at the bottom of the garden (no neighbours) between various shrubs and a 6ft hedge, but loads of space and no overhanging trees, or about the same distance at the back of the house inside an old brick shed, with a north-facing door space and a double-door space west facing. Why inside a shed? Because we have such high rainfall here, and I am a fair-weather person! :banghead:
I welcome your advice. Have been reading a few threads, so I am sure you all have an opinion to share. Serioulsy, I welcome the benefit of your experience. Thanks

as it sounds like you have more than one hive, why not try both suggested places, you'll see first hand at the end of next year if one is better than the other

A fair weather person--------- You appear to be in the wrong country;)
Welcome to the forumbee-smillie

hello and welcome. good luck with you bees next year. lets all hope we have a good spring and a wonderfull summer, :seeya:

"Because we have such high rainfall here, and I am a fair-weather person!"

ha! miles better to be able to grab a brief window in typical UK weather than the alternative.

inspecting more than 1 hive in 35-40C heat is near impossible.

BTW have performed urgent hive box manipulations in rain using various polycarbonate crown boards to keep each box dry

Welcome ,another ayrshire boy here ,well no a boy now ,been at the beekeeping 4nbit years now and sticking at it ,get someone local to give you pointers when available knowledge from the experienced is invaluable ,as ratcatcher says try both sites ,from my experience i would keep them a good distance from the house they can be tetchy when the mood takes them ,good luck and enjoy your bee time

Back