Hello and how to set up: Poly Lang vs Nat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone - looking forward to using the forum. I always find these places the best place to get advice and pointers when starting a new hobby :)

Okay so I have moved into a new house out of the city and have wanted to keep bees for ages and with a bit more room now is my chance. I did a beginner course a few years back and have a good friend who is a bkeep and is going to give me some bees.

Now I need a hive !

Having looked around I am going to go down the poly route and was going to get a p***** poly national BUT I have had a look through this forum and am now confused ! I am not going to be moving my bees around and a few people have advised a Langstroth instead of a national but the guy who is giving me bees has them on national frames at the moment. I dont intend on having more than 2 hives max in the future.

So national poly vs langstroth poly ? Seems to be debated a lot on here.

GG

Between those two choices personally I would go for the poly Langstroth.

PH

Lots of choices to make - or just take what comes along.

Choice of top or bottom bee space might even be a good starting point once poly is chosen.

Number of frames, compatibility with other kit, might well enter the equation, as well as resources local to you (your friend per eg) might be other factors.

Nothing is perfect, although some may come close (acording to some).

Your bees may need a larger or smaller box or you may choose to use multiple boxes for brood. All have pros and cons.

I dont intend on having more than 2 hives max in the future.

Famous last words! Even if you mean only two colonies you will need more than two hives, that is for sure, if you really 'keep' bees.

Welcome to the forum.

RAB

I have WBC, National, Jumbo Poly Langstroth and Poly Langstroth nucs...which would I choose if I was starting again from scratch? Langstroth - poly to save my back - and good space for the bees.

Standard Langstroth brood frames are as nice to handle as Nat's apart from the shorter lugs and IMHO a better deal than 14x12's and poly makes them easier to handle.

I've got poly Langs. I like them, and I think the bees do too. They seem to be doing better in them than in the wooden boxes.

Okay so I'm swaying toward poly langs and using frame converter for getting my mates national (actually smith he now tells me!) nucleus into the hive.

As for brood chamber size deep / medium or jumbo ?

I'm such a novice :rolleyes:

Can you get the loan of the nuc box for three weeks or so?

PH

I am having trouble with my jumbo - the wax sags and leads to mad comb :(...I would go standard :)

I am having trouble with my jumbo - the wax sags and leads to mad comb :(...I would go standard :)

Assuming you are using wired foundation, One or ideally two horizontal reinforcing wires cures this problem. You need to embed it into the foundation with spur embedder or battery charger / transformer.

I have a poly national and poly nuc. So far I've been really impressed by them. No experience of Langstroth hives, but I am pleased with the poly hives. Gentler on the back and the nuc was easy to clean between occupants using soda crystals.

I have a poly national and poly nuc. So far I've been really impressed by them. No experience of Langstroth hives, but I am pleased with the poly hives. Gentler on the back and the nuc was easy to clean between occupants using soda crystals.

Okay so almost ready to take the plunge on poly lang from MBK. Very helpful people there and happy to answer my novice questions ! How easy is it to transfer a national nuc to lang ?

I am thinking :

1. move the nuc to the proposed site.
2. on a warm day cable tie the top bar of a langstroth frame to a national one from the nuc and place in the new hive. Maybe side fillers as well ?
3. Shake bees into new hive from each frame I put in.
4. Repeat till they are all in ? (same day or multiple days ?)
5. Feed them up !

Does this sound generally correct ?

What to do about the queen - any precautions or tips ?

If I am putting standard national frames into the full depth langstroth brood box will there be a gap at the bottom of each frame ?

Cheers

GG.

If you are in Aberdeen, you could buy one from a b e l o and pick it up yourself, saving on carriage costs. The hive won't have the lip you see on mbk hives either, meaning you will have compatability with other Lang hives, not just mbk ones.

Try and find out what is the most popular in your area, national or Langstroth, (bet its national). It makes it much easier when you need to borrow stuff or lend things when everybody has the same

Okay so almost ready to take the plunge on poly lang from MBK. Very helpful people there and happy to answer my novice questions ! How easy is it to transfer a national nuc to lang ?

I am thinking :

1. move the nuc to the proposed site.
2. on a warm day cable tie the top bar of a langstroth frame to a national one from the nuc and place in the new hive. Maybe side fillers as well ?
3. Shake bees into new hive from each frame I put in.
4. Repeat till they are all in ? (same day or multiple days ?)
5. Feed them up !

Does this sound generally correct ?

What to do about the queen - any precautions or tips ?

If I am putting standard national frames into the full depth langstroth brood box will there be a gap at the bottom of each frame ?

Cheers

GG.

Why shake the frames? Not necessary. Make sure the queen is in (gently transfer the frame she is on) and when all frames transferred you can shake in the bees remaining in the box. Do it all at once.

Yes cable tie or garden wire top bar to national frame. Side fillers mean no brace comb but they are a faff to fit when the frame is full of bees. I have done it both ways. After transfer add some lang frames and gradually move the nats to the outside of the box, when they can then be removed. Takes a few weeks but it works.

Thanks for the help people.

Finished clearing out the site for my bees last night by digging up a massive tree root !

I'm going to go for the MB poly lang deep body brood box - one thing, and it might be stupid, should I go for three deep boxes or the single deep and two "medium". I dont expect my bees will build up much for me to worry about putting supers on this year anyway but its nice to plan a bit.

WELL GOOD LUCK. We have all been there. Dont worry about surplus honey. Get them built up so they can get through winter. You will know if they need more room later on in the season. Feed them up so as to give them loads of stores.

Try and find out what is the most popular in your area, national or Langstroth, (bet its national). It makes it much easier when you need to borrow stuff or lend things when everybody has the same

:iagree:

I'd suggest you'll find life a lot easier down the line being compatible with your beek friend's equipment and with other beeks in the area, especially if you (for example) need to borrow a frame of brood, super etc.

Good luck with it whichever you go for!

Latest posts

Back