Hegehog diet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
12803986_10209018851251696_758439304_n.jpg

saw this young heghog las niught mooching under hive. Do they eat dead bees

Probably anything meaty they can get their hands on.

We used to always feed our local spikey hogs cat food.

By all means feed them but nothing with fish in it as it will kill them eventually, dog food is a far better option and no milk just plain water in a little bowl..also they are not breeding yet so that will not be a young one, it will be last years young though.

Last edited:
They also love peanuts. High energy food for them

rescued a hedgehog that had wandered out too early and was caught in a cold snap some years ago - kept it in a box in the house for over a month - it fared well on a diet of catfood and water. Found out two things -
A)they're noisy little blighters when they want to be
B)For such small quantities, their crap really does stink

rescued a hedgehog that had wandered out too early and was caught in a cold snap some years ago - kept it in a box in the house for over a month - it fared well on a diet of catfood and water. Found out two things -
A)they're noisy little blighters when they want to be
B)For such small quantities, their crap really does stink

Do you have PC or internet issues..:cool:

Instead of asking advice on a bee forum just google Hedgehog rescue .
Even i can do that.

Ps not you jenky by the way.

Last edited:
Beautifull creatures... Sadly in serious decline in both UK and Ireland due to increase in intensive farming, destruction of hedgerow habitat.

Disappointing thread.

When I read, "Hedgehog Diet", I was looking for some interesting recipes.

Dusty

Just what I thought....but more...Why would people want to eat hedgehogs?

Beautifull creatures... Sadly in serious decline in both UK and Ireland due to increase in intensive farming, destruction of hedgerow habitat.

................. and the massive increase in the badger population - brock's two favourite snacks? hedgehog and bumblebee nests.

They do look like a rabbit when skinned but i doubt they taste the same.

not bad at all according to my grandfather who used to share a meal with the local Welsh gypsies when they were passing through and camped up on the moorland near his grandparent's farm back in the early 1920's.

Handy - as they come with a plentiful supply of toothpicks

never tasted one.

Please advise how to cook and skin please...

the best way is baked in clay in an open fire that has gone to embers. the clay stops them burning and also when u remove them from the clay it takes all the spines and skin with it.

the best way is baked in clay in an open fire that has gone to embers. the clay stops them burning and also when u remove them from the clay it takes all the spines and skin with it.

Yep That's how I was told how they cook them.

Slug pellets are the biggest killers of hedgehogs, don't use them just put a container of beer in the ground, the slugs get p!$$ed and full in the container and drown. Better to see a p!$$ed hedgehog than a dead one :D

Latest posts

Back