Handling queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Until now I have used a crown of thorns to hold the queen for marking, but since I am starting to get into queen rearing, I thought I had best practice picking her up properly. Videos I have seen and things I have read suggest placing her on ball of thumb and trapping legs and thorax with the index and middle fingers. It may because my wrists are a bit stiff, I don't think so, but I have found this awkward.
Recently watched this video of MIchael Palmer where he places her on the side of the tip of his middle finger and holding her with index finger and thumb. I find this works so much better, as I do not have to twist my hand in an unnatural manner. Might help someone.

https://youtu.be/A2tSkW9YuHY

Michael Palmer is a cool fellow with a steady hand, my fingers and wrists have took a battering over the years and they would be a good chance of me squashing the Queen if i handled her like that, i have a hard enough time not squashing the five day old nestlings in my aviary when ringing them.

Not with thick leather beekeeping gloves!

Go commando with a rinse of rosemary water to the bare hands before and after picking up the queen!

Nos da

It looks so cool and professional, but I still cant hold her my fingers.
I catch her with the clear device shaped like a smoking pipe and then use one of those clear plastic tubes with the "piston" that has the sponge on top. Squeeze her up to the top and it's designed not to go the whole way but yet hold her against the grille. A lot easier than a crown of thorns and you can take her off the comb and away from the workers.
So that might be some help until you get the handholding perfected.

Go commando with a rinse of rosemary water to the bare hands before and after picking up the queen!

Nos da
If you went commando with the bees i have you definitely you not be able to feel the queen after your hands where balled up and stung to bits..:D

Nos da
I just wear thin nitriles for all my beekeeping, which do me fine, having spent half my working life wearing surgical gloves.
Crown of thorns or plunger or any other gadget are fine up to a point, but I have come to that time in my beekeeping, where I need to handle queens direct. The methods I had used before for this, letting her grip the thumb, were so awkward, when I saw the MP video, it was a revelation and having tried it out, it is so much easier

Handling queens with bare hands can lead to the interesting situation of being stung by a queen.

If you went commando with the bees i have you definitely you not be able to feel the queen after your hands where balled up and stung to bits..:D

You have crappy bees. You have complained about them always. Requeen and save us your misery :sunning:

Edit: If I - who took up Beekeeping when I was in my mid 60s can keep bare handed .. so can you when you get decent bees..

You have crappy bees. You have complained about them always. Requeen and save us your misery :sunning:

Edit: If I - who took up Beekeeping when I was in my mid 60s can keep bare handed .. so can you when you get decent bees..
Unsure how to reply to that statement. but i do know the obvious if it makes you feel strong.

I would not be bothered getting stung a few times from the Queen, its the few hundred workers that would bother me.:spy:

To get your confidence up if you gently spray mist some water over the frame with queen on then the workers temporarily 'freeze' and the queen continues to walk around. You've then got about 10 seconds to pick her up before the workers realise what's going on.

Never been stung by a queen yet and my understanding is they reserve that for other queens. Be that as it may I was taught to pick them up by the left wing using my left hand so as to leave my right to clip and mark.

I am right handed so having found the frame she is on I slip my gloves off, catch her, pick up scissors, wait a moment as she if very likely to raise a leg then clip and mark.

Note the WAIT as you will be told not to clip as they will supercede... well yes they will if one leg is missing eh?

PH

Does the queen die if she sting you?

Latest posts

Back