Hammerite paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all ....

The WBC hive which we were given, has a black painted roof which has been getting very hot in the recent sunny weather, just wondering if I can re-paint with Silver Hammerite paint?

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

Hammerite should be ok, but expensive.. There could be difficulties if that previous black paint was bitumen based.
Repaint if you are keen, but I wouldn't worry about that hot roof. I don't think your bees will be affected.

Last edited:
As a temporary - and much cheaper - fix-, kitchen aluminium foil has few equals.

But it really makes little difference... but side walls my be something different (gaps on roof, walls in contact with bees.)

But it really makes little difference... but side walls my be something different (gaps on roof, walls in contact with bees.)

In a WBC hive walls in contact with bees????? :)
and im only a beginner!!

picture.php

Sorry - I forgot people are still using them....:paparazzi:

In a WBC hive walls in contact with bees????? :)
and im only a beginner!!

Another reason not to worry about re-painting the roof, there's an air gap - The traditional finish for non-cedar WBC's used to be whitewash... I remember, in the 1950's my Dad mixing up the slaked lime, size and water .. the lifts got a fresh coat every spring - as did the inside of the outside toilet and wash house !

They are perfect for our arctic conditions, up here ......:cheers2:

The Trossachs are warm compared to Macduff where I grew up...(10 foot snowdrifts outside our back door in 1963)

Would a car primer spray work then any colour you choose. White would be best for reflecting radiated heat, I.e. direct sunlight.

Latest posts

Back