Guarding at bait hive entrance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all.
A week ago I put a bait hive in the garden with four old combs in it and on Sunday I had around twenty bees flying all around it and in and out. All went quiet again with just the odd bee then today there seems to be guard bees fighting at the entrance. I haven't seen any pollen going in and don't really want to disturb if If it's just scout bees. It's the first time I've but out a bait hive and wondered if this is normal and what I can expect next?

Thanks,
Jer

Two possible scenarios.

There may be a colony now in residence or there may be two sets of scout bees squabbling over precedence. Never seen anything like the second, but there must be the odd occasion when two swarms are finding the residence desirable and only one is going to get it...

Hi Jerry,
A third scenario could be that the combs you put in did have some 'food' in them and you now have robbers fighting over the spoils. If it is robbers they will destroy the comb to get every little morsel out!

For the last 5 years I've had a bait hive set up in my garden about 10 feet from my favourite armchair.

Each year there has been some considerable bee activity followed by the arrival of swarms.

This activity has included guarding at the entrance.
At times, new arrivals have been allowed entry. At others, there has been fighting.

So, in my opinion, I think that a bit of fighting at the entrance of a bait hive is normal.

What to expect next? could be a couple of things:

All activity may stop. For instance if, a managed colony is manipulated to lose interest in swarming.

Activity could continue for a number of days, in my experience up to a week, culminating in the colonisation of your hive.

I don't know if there are signs to let you know that your hive will definitely be colonised.
In my experience, in the few days before a swarm's arrival there has been a lot of traffic, looking in fact just like a normal hive.
During this time the bees have appeared to have been very much at home i.e. flying directly to the entrance and not zig zagging or hesitating as robbers seem to.

I've noticed too that bees will appear to involve themselves in activity around the various splits, cracks and other defects in the body of the hive. Repair work perhaps?

I've been lucky enough to see the arrival of at least six swarms at this site.
The others I've only been certain of colonization after lifting the lid after spotting pollen being carried in.

I don't think that you'll put off the bees by having a look inside the box while they are working it.
I've done this a few times and they seem to carry on regardless just as in a routine inspection (including a bit of warning buzzing).

If you're reluctant to disturb things, you could perhaps give the hive a good rap with your knuckles after flying has ceased and listen for the roar/hiss.

Anyway, I hope you have good luck with your hive.

A third scenario

I rather discounted that one as an option. I thought of it but the hive had been there long enough for robbing and there would be loads of bees robbing and not fighting to keep others away from the entrance - it all in and get a piece of the action is typical of robbing.

Sorry to disagree, once again. Well I'm not really:). Bees are simple creatures after all is said and done.

Nice try though.

RAB

How very interesting! Must take note for when I dare to set up a bait hive (if ever). I'm just generally too paranoid about disease/hot bees at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for insightful replies.

Ana

Hi Oliver,
As the saying goes 'it is not over until the fat lady sings'. Well, jerry in this case. Sorry jerry, no offense, but I assume you are a man and I am not fat. I do not think Paul's very fascinating observations in any way is conclusive proof against it being robbers. My 'bait' hive was used to clean out my frames as I did not want to store them wet and they had started to mould. The robbing occurred over a period of 10 days and robbers did even stay the night. 'Nice try though' seems a bit juvenile Oliver. I am here to learn about beekeeping. You?

Great way to spread disease beeno letting bees from all over have access to your honey frames

I am here to learn about beekeeping.

Was this a bait hive this year and when was it? Early March you had bees scouting in preparation for swarming, IIRC? By now you should at least have learned that leaving comb to be robbed is bad practice.

You clearly did not read my post properly - the bit where they do not guard when robbing empty hives - it being a free-for-all? All the signs are there to be used, not just the cherry picked items in isolation. You really need to think more before posting. Your post was not a learning process, as I saw it, more like promulgating a flawed piece of information for a learning beek to lap up and be forrever misguided by it. That is just how a lot of beekeeping myths are perpetuated.

Back