Greetings from the Apennines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leila

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi everyone and greetings from the Tosco-Emiliano Apennines at 1130metres up, here in Italy.
We're due to get our first 2 nucs in the next couple of weeks and begin beekeeping. We are really excited. We're coming to the end of a rather hopeless beekeeping course and had it not been for the wealth of info on the Internet and lots of lovely books, we'd be stuffed! Fortunately I had the day with a couple of beekeepers last Friday, so it's beginning to slot into place. Anyway, I thought I'd join this community to see how different people do things in different parts of the world, or indeed different parts of the UK!

Hi everyone and greetings from the Tosco-Emiliano Apennines at 1130metres up, here in Italy.
We're due to get our first 2 nucs in the next couple of weeks and begin beekeeping. We are really excited. We're coming to the end of a rather hopeless beekeeping course and had it not been for the wealth of info on the Internet and lots of lovely books, we'd be stuffed! Fortunately I had the day with a couple of beekeepers last Friday, so it's beginning to slot into place. Anyway, I thought I'd join this community to see how different people do things in different parts of the world, or indeed different parts of the UK!

Welcome to the madhouse :)
Out of interest at what height do bees struggle to fly in thin air?

:welcome: it will be nice to see how things go in Italy for you. As you say different parts of the UK have their own climates so things can be hugely different.

I hope you enjoy your bees and keep us posted!

Welcome to the madhouse :)
Out of interest at what height do bees struggle to fly in thin air?

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Interesting question! I was reading in another forum that this chap had bees at 1500m altitude and they were still okay. I think they'll be laughing at 1130! At least we're above the horrible smog that hangs over the lowlands of Emilia Romagna. That's far more detrimental to the poor little blighters!!

Latest posts

Back