Green queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
I've been using the green queen marking pens widely available but am finding that the paint is getting cleaned off. I haven't had this problem with my old (yellow) pen of the same brand that I've used for the past two years. Anyone else having the same issue?

Last edited:
I've been using the green queen marking pens widely available but am finding that the paint is getting cleaned off. I haven't had this problem with my old (yellow) pen of the same brand that I've used for the past two years. Anyone else having the same issue?
Yellow is the only colour in that collection that will stay, the rest are cleaned off very quickly. It must be the pigmentation used. I find the best pens are the tyre markers available on ebay.

Yes. I have already had to re mark the queens I did with green. Last years red seems ok but I think I am going to use white in all cases for my next marking session. It stands out far better in the crowd.

Yellow is the only colour in that collection that will stay, the rest are cleaned off very quickly. It must be the pigmentation used. I find the best pens are the tyre markers available on ebay.

The red and white work fine for me.
Cazza

Are tyre markers OK to use on bees?

I still have 1 yellow one, so the yellow seems to work as well, considering she has gone through 2 winters already and a bit yellow is still left on her, even if it's not much...

red was ok white was ok but the green does seem to come off quick ???? why maybe cheeper sauced by company selling them

Dayglo Orange works well for me... Easy to find.

I mark once, leave on the top bars in cylinder and work in the hive. After it dries, I put second layer and when dry, open the cylinder. It works for me.

I find the green isn't really bright enough and does come off. Remarked a most of mine this weekend but added a small yellow dot on top of the green. Seems to do the job.

I find the green isn't really bright enough and does come off. Remarked a most of mine this weekend but added a small yellow dot on top of the green. Seems to do the job.

I have read about using two colours to make it stand out more. A dab of each.

Latest posts

Back