Great method of dealing with agressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB008

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I opened up a normally mild hive last Saturday. I took the supers off - "hmm they are a bit feisty today" I split the BB's and was in the process of moving the top one when they came at me en masse like the charge of the light brigade with multiple stings in seconds. I quickly retreated to consider my options (and nurse my stings) when I hit on the answer. I put another bee suit over my first. I have to say it really worked wonders as it made me feel truly impregnable - far more so than any other "armour plating" I have used in the past on aggressive colonies. With this confidence I had no fear so moved as slowly as a mime artist when I went back in to sort the colony which was a positive step as they go for movement. It may look stupid but it works - especially around the head area!!

I shall do this again when I go back to gind the Queen as this needs re-queening and fast

Sounds like a great idea
Ill try that with my hive from hell
Were you not a bit hot though ?????
I checked 4 hives this morning in shorts and tee shirt under sherriff suit and had sweat running down my cleavage (i was praying it was sweat whilst doing inspections, amazing how a bead of sweat can feel like several bees)

Less hot than going in with fleeces and two pairs of trousers. The main benefit was feeling bullet proof especially around the head!

Just don't try to get the hooped-hat version on first!

Good idea for those with both types of suit.

Sounds like a great idea
I checked 4 hives this morning in shorts and tee shirt under sherriff suit and had sweat running down my cleavage (i was praying it was sweat whilst doing inspections, amazing how a bead of sweat can feel like several bees)

Ding Dong!!!! :spy:

I checked 4 hives this morning in shorts and tee shirt under sherriff suit and had sweat running down my cleavage
Just give me a moment with that thought. :drool5:
Wonder if the hotel power shower works on 'cold'.

I opened up a normally mild hive last Saturday. I took the supers off - "hmm they are a bit feisty today" I split the BB's and was in the process of moving the top one when they came at me en masse like the charge of the light brigade with multiple stings in seconds. I quickly retreated to consider my options (and nurse my stings) when I hit on the answer. I put another bee suit over my first. I have to say it really worked wonders as it made me feel truly impregnable - far more so than any other "armour plating" I have used in the past on aggressive colonies. With this confidence I had no fear so moved as slowly as a mime artist when I went back in to sort the colony which was a positive step as they go for movement. It may look stupid but it works - especially around the head area!!

I shall do this again when I go back to gind the Queen as this needs re-queening and fast

Ah the answer to my problem :thanks:

Boys, ye are spending too much time with the bees !!

'Great method of dealing with agressive bees'​

Of course you could follow the new trend developing................................
and just pour a couple of pints of Esso's finest through the feeder hole.

I wear a pair of those Crime Scene overalls over the top of my suit...Only £1 a pair.

Also keeps the suit clean.

I have a set of Panoply mechanics overalls. Add a jacket and veil and I'm impenetrable - and very hot...

I've been considering the kevlar jeans for one of my evil but productive hives, what are they like to wear and can the bees get their stingers through?

Sounds a great idea.. Going to try it very soon on the psychos.

I did the second suit back in the early 80s with the nastiest colony I ever had to deal with, I still ended up in hospital with over 400 stings. I like the idea at the time but fell you need to 'deal' with nasty bees by working out why. It wasn't fun...

Back