Great Black Wasp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg2011

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just been through a hive and found a large black insect sitting on top of a frame. Have been through Google and it looks like it might be the Great Black Wasp, though according to the info it seems to be confined to the US.

Has anyone else come across them?

Can post a picture if wanted.

Just been through a hive and found a large black insect sitting on top of a frame. Have been through Google and it looks like it might be the Great Black Wasp, though according to the info it seems to be confined to the US.

Has anyone else come across them?

Can post a picture if wanted.

Please post a photo of the wasp if you have one. Want to be sure its not velutina.

Please post a photo of the wasp if you have one. Want to be sure its not velutina.

Ok - it is a bit tucked up presumably due to the bees dealing with it. I should add that it is about 20mm long if it was not tucked in

Last edited:
Not sure that is correct.

It is hairless and has a pointed tail.

Here are some more pics.

It's a dead bumblebee. The bees have chewed off all the hairs and covered the corpse with propolis. :)

So that's what a nekkid bumble bee looks like ;)

:iagree:

I thought it may have been that before the photo was posted - had a few a couple of years ago jammed into the underfloor entrance of one hive - stripped naked and black as the ace of spades

Hi dg2011,

The resolution is a little fuzzy but from what I can tell this does not look like a wasp. The mandibles are inconspicuous and the antennae are too short. I would have to agree that this is a bee.

bc9d87c8d0f6518d22bf08c7ed8b87ba.jpg

Left long enough the eyes will polish a bumble bee !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should have read bees, not eyes . Damned auto correct !
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok - thanks for all the feedback. We will settle on a bee then.

I find it strange that it should have got in the centre of a busy hive.

Latest posts

Back