Great bee keepers out there.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update- The bees went nasty and had to be moved. I got the same experienced beekeeper to go through my hive in the new location as I couldn't find the new queen. Well there had been a supercedure from last year, a massive unmateded queen which we have now killed. He has now given me a frame of eggs so fingers crossed 16 days a new queen and time to get mated.
Lesson dont destroy queen cells at the begining of september(supercedure ones) and still join your local club.
I have now learnt another lesson.

Another point.

Given the choice between keeping a supercedure strain, and changing to a swarmy one I know which way I would be leaning. Provided the sup strain were good behaved and honey getters of coure.

PH

I lost one of two hives and then I could not find any sign of a quuen in the other this Feburary. I had 3 deeps full of bees and no queen sign. No eggs , no brood. My bee supplier kept saying he is expecting queens any day. At the 2 week point he said he had a queen in a 3 frame nook for $30. but she was not laying very many eggs. I took it, checked the hive again, still no sign. I put her in the top deep with a screen bottom and a back top opening. It was a good thing I did because the next week I checked them and there were eggs in the top and bottom boxes. I seperated them and left the new queen in the old location. the following week she had filled the 4 outer drawn frames I had placed in the hive and every other empty cell in the hive. Solid brood on those 4 drawn frames even on the outside walls. The other female is laying again but no where near as strong as she did last year. I replaced her with a new queen and put her in 3 frames of a queen castle. I plan on building a visual hive and she should work out in there.
Jim

A frame of eggs yes to produce queen cells on so check after 4-5 days after introduction and remove queen cells not on the donor frame or you may be back to square one.

Check after 7 days and break down any sealed cells, as they could be started from an older larvae, and likely to produce a scrub queen...leave one good open cell as this will of been raised as a queen from the correct age larvae. Any other queen cells they produce, on frames other than the doner frame, would never become a queen if the previous one was a drone layer.

Yes of course a drone layer I misread the post as aggressive queen and as a result the cull.

Hivemaker can you explain a bit further to me on the reason of removing the sealed cells after 7 days I have always been told 4-5 days and the relationship with the correct age of larvae to produce the best queen.

Tom...if you select an open cell at seven days, then you can be sure the cell was destined to be a queen right from an egg, from egg to sealed queen cell is eight days. The bee's could and often do, in there panick to get a new queen start one from an older larvae,like say three days old(more likely two),and have a sealed cell two days later,which would be a scrub queen.

Cheers HM that’s great thanks for that its appreciated.

I actually woke up this morning at 4.30 and was thinking about it, sort of worked it out but its great to get it confirmed.

Its another small brick of knowledge added to the wall.

Interference

Hi

I think that there is too much human interference.......causing a problem when it could have been resolved by the bees.......and i'm just a simple human being

roy:driving:

I think that there is too much human interference.......causing a problem when it could have been resolved by the bees.......and i'm just a simple human being

Another candidate for burning at the stake.:hurray:

Chris

and i'm just a simple human being

Nothing wrong with that,i expect your happy though.

Latest posts

Back