Grayanotoxin - Mad Honey Disease

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCCare

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello there, we are a small charity that and have just started beekeeping, as we are situated next to Muncaster Castle with its huge Rhododenron collection the question of toxic honey has come up. Does anybody know more about the subject?

Rhody honey is toxic but I might presume you would have to eat a whole jar at the very least. As the plants produce a late spring source of nectar the sensible thing to do would be to let the bees use it.
Honey made from the plants has been reported to cause cardiac arrhythmias, emesis, mild paralysis and convulsions in humans and is known as “mad honey”. It is also reputed to lose this toxicity on storage in the comb so it might be safe to extract in late summer?
By then though I'm sure Cumbrian bees would have long ago eaten it.

Hello there, we are a small charity that and have just started beekeeping, as we are situated next to Muncaster Castle with its huge Rhododenron collection the question of toxic honey has come up. Does anybody know more about the subject?
Mad honey is used 'medicinally' in Turkey , it is sold under the counter for it's narcotic effects'
The area producing this 'mad honey' has extensive areas of Rhododendron
Ponticum , I doubt the amount of toxin from your rhodys would have any effect on honeys you produce given the time of flowering plus the more attractive nectar sources around . Remember bees forage widely! Mudcasters' seemingly huge collection of Rhododendrons will feature little in the seasonal collection of honey in you area :)

John Wilkinson

Thanks for your quick reply, we will be getting our bees next week, so we should have missed the Rhodies flowering by then. Of all the things you have to look out for when starting to keep bees, the amount of different plant species where our least worry until now...

Back