Granulation in Heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melt it like any other. It must have a fair bit of blossom in it.
It will just crystallise again though. Soft set it or keep it in the freezer

My heather granulates with big individual crystals. Warm as normal and keep in a warm place, bottle as required!

Last edited:
Hi so looking at stock today half of the heather honey is starting to granulate, as this is my first for heather honey, anything I can do to make it jelly like again?View attachment 28988
Are you sure its not fermenting - those look like bubbles to me, not the usual crystallising picture I'm familiar with.
Do you know the water content ?

Are you sure its not fermenting - those look like bubbles to me, not the usual crystallising picture I'm familiar with.
18.6% water content the sample in the photo.
Even the Heather honey that wasn't capped this season was 19.2 which is still fine.
I have lime honey that is 19.5 and hasn't fermented.
All my honey is stored at 8/10 c in a cellar.

Melt it like any other. It must have a fair bit of blossom in it.
It will just crystallise again though. Soft set it or keep it in the freezer
The Heather is I would say around 75% pure, I've taken samples and sent them of for analysis.

Those large bubbles are a common sign in heather! I’d suggest the temperature your storing at is fine for buckets but once bottled warm room temperature is better.

I doubt it will. The point of soft set is to seed the honey with a small crystal
Did you have some set ling that you ground down?
I used blossom honey. Worked perfectly
No ling ground down dani.
Im about to make 90lbs of soft set with some osr.
Also found some tubs of osr from 2019 in the freezer to use which I didn't know i had.
When you say blossom do you mean spring honey like dandelion etc?

Ok, it is then.
This will only be the third time I've made soft set, the first time it ended up being grainy but I think I didn't process it right.
More than one way to do it but mbcs method which he only briefly explained works well.

Back