Grafting Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 National
The hive that I decided to use to raise some Queen cells have done their job,
They have made QC on 2 frames but on one frame they are extremely small.

So my question is can I graft some of the Queen cells from the good frame onto other frames and move them to made up 5 frame Nucs.

If so do I graft them onto empty frames,a frame with Bias or a frame of emerging brood.

I assume that I would have to cut well away from the queen cell base and use melted wax to stick them on.

As usual any ideas would be gratefully appreciated, hopefully this is not a case of simply no not an option.

Cheers

Being very optimistic making nup a load of nucs this time of the year.
If needs be cut them out with a generous wodge of wax at the top - I just then press them on to the receiving frame top bar, no need for molten wax. I'd put them on to a frame with some brood of some kind.

Being very optimistic making nup a load of nucs this time of the year.
If needs be cut them out with a generous wodge of wax at the top - I just then press them on to the receiving frame top bar, no need for molten wax. I'd put them on to a frame with some brood of some kind.

:iagree:

Unless extreme care is taken you will probably damage the queens in their cells
Better to take complete frame with 2 or three cells and put into nuc.

If you are going to attempt to cut out take a strip across the frame... I think the FatsoBee Man on youtube has a demosteration of how you would doos this!

Yeghes da

Unless extreme care is taken you will probably damage the queens in their cells
I do carry a very sharp knife which I use to cut out any cells - no doubt someone will be along in a moment and tell me that legislation forbids me to carry it, but they'd be wrong (it's one thing being able to read the law - quite another to be able to correctly interpret it!!)

I cut out some queen cells this summer. A very sharp knife. Cut out a large circle with extra at the top. I used a toothpick to suspend the queen cell between the frames. Worked well. And I could see when the queen emerged through the clear cover board too.

I find the only worthwhile things sold by manpuddle are the jz-bz queen rearing stuff - they do little plastic cages you can pop a QC into - some have spikes to push into the comb to hold the cells in place - others have lugs so that they can sit between two frames with the lugs resting on top

Latest posts

Back