Going Bananas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I have tried to eradicate Ascospheara apis, chalkbrood, in one of my colonies. After moving them onto new foundation, which they have drawn beautifully, and introducing a new strain queen which has just started to lay and giving them some emerging brood, I was very disappointed to find more chalkbrood.
I am now going to try bananas, as someone said on the forum, they produce ethanol. I found one study which suggested that it works as a fungicide, so here's hoping. The gas is heavier than air so it should logically fumigate the hive. The hive has OMF on poly national, but should I open entrance fully as the banana will also give off carbon dioxide? How long should I leave the hive closed up? Now, off to buy a banana. Thanks all.

Who knows?
According to some folk on the Flow forum it works against varroa too. You might be lucky

It also imitates the attack pheremone - good luck with that.

Maybe try a few magic crystals suspended over the entrance?

Yes, I read that too. We will see. I'll try anything once (within reason).

I had a queen with lots of chalkbrood. I requeened the colony and moved the CB queen into a (homebuilt) 5 frame polynuc with 100mm thick roof.

No more chalkbrood..

Insulation works wonders..

No aggressiveness displayed towards the banana. Maybe they will just eat it as it is full of sugar. Opened up full entrance to assist ventilation. Will keep an eye on that.

they only release the required compounds once they start decomposing ( brown )

Please ensure that you brush all of the bees off before you eat it at the end of the experiment.
:sorry:

Ignoring the above, please keep us informed of the outcome.

Well....I looked up gassing tomatoes...you learn something every day!
I do the same on here (learn something every day) but its mainly about bees from folk like your self ;) , i read somewhere on the ethylene subject that a lot of the tomato farms use the gas in there big green houses for a better turn over, bee wise though will it turn the bees red..:D

:D
I've just been reading a thread about killing bees as a winter prep and there's another one where some woman is asking for dead bees so that her daughter can illustrate her project about CCD at school. I suggested it was a good job she wasn't doing a project about World War II. I don't think she was very happy with my contribution

:D
I've just been reading a thread about killing bees as a winter prep and there's another one where some woman is asking for dead bees so that her daughter can illustrate her project about CCD at school. I suggested it was a good job she wasn't doing a project about World War II. I don't think she was very happy with my contribution

:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004

Back