Gloucestershire Bee Auction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
So a summary of the GBKA auction on Sat 7th May 2022 at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Glos

The 2nd time I've been to the auction at this location (it used to be at the Cheltenham Racecourse) and this time in a different hall and outside lots too.

I think I'll begin with a moan. a BIG moan. No refreshments available after midday as the 'Refectory' shuts on Saturdays so PLEASE give consideration to maybe teas and coffees and cake (like MEON Valley do) for the attendees. It was sorely needed.

On to the lots - over 350 I think on the day with a couple of large entries from deceased estates and retirees. The first two lots were the only WBCs of the day and they fetched £10 and £5 which was a steal. The next 5 lots were some very tired original National hives (bees don't care) and these were snapped up for £10 a piece which included floor, roof, super and QX too. Bargain !

Then came a few lots I had my eye on. I wondered whether the low bids would continue. Success. I won a proper foundation press and accessories for £15, and then a complete Maisemore Poly hive with 2 supers for £32, and then 4 Paynes Poly nucs (two brand new) for £20 each...

Some lots then followed which barely made £2 including another old national hive and some odds and ends. Then the first big ticket item was a nice electric extractor which made £450, Beeswax blocks at £12 for 1,5kg and then some better national hives made £30.

Some brand new pine hives with two supers and all the parts went for £120 a piece which shows a good lot will get the bidders bidding. In between this little lot I won 3 ekes for £1, a large tub of hoffman converters for £1, a large tub of hive fasteners for £12 (each was labelled up £5.30 from Thornes in 2013 their Centenary year). I had a bit more competition for two ross round supers which were complete which cost me £60, but I then came up trumps with £20 for a large Thomas straining tank with filter which is needed in the honey house.

A large stack of coverboards/snelgrove boards was mine for £2 and then I had a run of £1 lots for Langstroth floors, brood bodies etc that no one wanted for, yes, £1 a lot.

I also picked up two display cases for combs for competitions for £8 and £2 which was nice as it saves me making them and they were brand new.

Other lots that went included a 20 frame electric extractor with no reserve for £70, a large Abelo Extractor/uncapping set up ended at £650 below reserve but sold after, along with a couple of other extractors too that looked hardly used.

Oh and a buyer sold me a burco electric boiler for £1 because he didn't want to have to re-wire it - ideal for boiling up frames or syrup, and a box of books for £5

So, no, I didn't buy everything....missed out on a few lots but as one becomes wise to the value new of items, it pays to stop bidding sometimes.

So a good day out, just dry as the Sahara Desert with no refreshments !!!....I hope someone from GBKA is reading this.

KR

Somerford

So a summary of the GBKA auction on Sat 7th May 2022 at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Glos

The 2nd time I've been to the auction at this location (it used to be at the Cheltenham Racecourse) and this time in a different hall and outside lots too.

I think I'll begin with a moan. a BIG moan. No refreshments available after midday as the 'Refectory' shuts on Saturdays so PLEASE give consideration to maybe teas and coffees and cake (like MEON Valley do) for the attendees. It was sorely needed.

On to the lots - over 350 I think on the day with a couple of large entries from deceased estates and retirees. The first two lots were the only WBCs of the day and they fetched £10 and £5 which was a steal. The next 5 lots were some very tired original National hives (bees don't care) and these were snapped up for £10 a piece which included floor, roof, super and QX too. Bargain !

Then came a few lots I had my eye on. I wondered whether the low bids would continue. Success. I won a proper foundation press and accessories for £15, and then a complete Maisemore Poly hive with 2 supers for £32, and then 4 Paynes Poly nucs (two brand new) for £20 each...

Some lots then followed which barely made £2 including another old national hive and some odds and ends. Then the first big ticket item was a nice electric extractor which made £450, Beeswax blocks at £12 for 1,5kg and then some better national hives made £30.

Some brand new pine hives with two supers and all the parts went for £120 a piece which shows a good lot will get the bidders bidding. In between this little lot I won 3 ekes for £1, a large tub of hoffman converters for £1, a large tub of hive fasteners for £12 (each was labelled up £5.30 from Thornes in 2013 their Centenary year). I had a bit more competition for two ross round supers which were complete which cost me £60, but I then came up trumps with £20 for a large Thomas straining tank with filter which is needed in the honey house.

A large stack of coverboards/snelgrove boards was mine for £2 and then I had a run of £1 lots for Langstroth floors, brood bodies etc that no one wanted for, yes, £1 a lot.

I also picked up two display cases for combs for competitions for £8 and £2 which was nice as it saves me making them and they were brand new.

Other lots that went included a 20 frame electric extractor with no reserve for £70, a large Abelo Extractor/uncapping set up ended at £650 below reserve but sold after, along with a couple of other extractors too that looked hardly used.

Oh and a buyer sold me a burco electric boiler for £1 because he didn't want to have to re-wire it - ideal for boiling up frames or syrup, and a box of books for £5

So, no, I didn't buy everything....missed out on a few lots but as one becomes wise to the value new of items, it pays to stop bidding sometimes.

So a good day out, just dry as the Sahara Desert with no refreshments !!!....I hope someone from GBKA is reading this.

KR

Somerford
Sounds like you had some bargains

Here at Meon Valley refreshments were plentiful -bacon rolls, soups (choice of 6 ) and many varieties of cakes

Hopefully next year dates won't clash

And I can say that the Meon refreshments were first class.So much so that we finished the day with the tea and cake. Oh and the auction was good fun.

KR

Somerford
Hi, a little late reading your post but found it very interesting - thanks. Can you tell me where you find out about the auctions please, as a Newbee Im still trying to find myself around the various information outlets. Thanks

Hi Rob

So the Auction dates can be found on Somerset/Taunton Beekeepers Website or Facebook page, Gloucestershireon the gbka web page and the East Meon Beekeepers hold the one in the Meon Valley in Hampshire - again on their web page

Hope that helps

S

Hi Rob

So the Auction dates can be found on Somerset/Taunton Beekeepers Website or Facebook page, Gloucestershireon the gbka web page and the East Meon Beekeepers hold the one in the Meon Valley in Hampshire - again on their web page

Hope that helps

S
Thanks very much Somerford

Latest posts

Back