Glass Crown Board to observe bees in winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am loving all this valuable information, views, etc. I have just knocked up my own polycarbonate crown boards. Designed and built in the exact fashion as my existing crown boards.
I may wait until we unwrap in the spring before sticking them on.
Thoughts?

Isn't that what proper beekeeping is all about? ;)

No, what I'm saying is an observation rather than an instruction or a procedure that I follow. I placed the last bit of fondant above the crownboards at the end of October. I've seen some colonies devour it and then retreat back inside. Even today, a couple of them are still nibbling on the small bit left. One colony appears to have abandoned it for the present. I won't automatically be replenishing any of it.

Despite apparently being one of the 50% of the below average part of the population, I do understand that fondant directly above the bees is more likely to be used. I also think that in some circumstances, fondant above the crownboard and well insulated may get taken down in a way which sustains the colony but doesn't clog the combs.
It won't clog the combs as the bees won't let it!! They are just not that stupid. And leaving a gaping hole in the crownboard just so the beesdcan get at the remnant you mention defeats the object of insulation. Please reconsider.

It won't clog the combs as the bees won't let it!! They are just not that stupid. And leaving a gaping hole in the crownboard just so the beesdcan get at the remnant you mention defeats the object of insulation. Please reconsider.

I'm glad you agree with me that fondant won't clog the combs. The problem might be that they won't empty the combs of so much stores if I've miscalculated and they have sufficient already. . Maybe you missed the part where I pointed out that the fondant is under the insulation?

Last edited:
I'm glad you agree with me that fondant won't clog the combs. The problem might be that they won't empty the combs of so much stores if I've miscalculated and they have sufficient already. . Maybe you missed the part where I pointed out that the fondant is under the insulation?
But you wouldn’t leave your loft hatch open….

Latest posts

Back