Getting the bees to use the supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireBees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 (mix of poly / wood)
I probably know the answer but here is the situation.

I have several of my hives now configured with a brood box, Queen excluder, 1 or more supers and a demaree board with another brood box above.

The colonies are getting very strong (very large number of bees).
However in at least 3 of the colonies the bees are storing nectar in the lower and upper brood boxes and not in the super(s)!

It is only foundation in the supers as I don't have any drawn comb available for them.

Unless they start to use the supers the newer (bottom) brood box will soon be short of space for the queen to lay in because of them filling it with nectar!

I am trying to work out the best way to get them to start using the supers?

I guess the best way is to remove the QE for several days to encourage them into the super?

Would a drop or two of lemograss oil in the super help or should I get a hair dryer out and give the foundation a quick going over?

Looking at at least 2 of the hives I reckon that they could fill at least 2 supers with honey from the brood boxes if they did start using them!

Also I didn't expect using the demaree method for them to fill the BB that is above the board with honey as fast as cells become available, is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice / replies.

This year I used a couple of drops of lemon grass oil on the top bars of my super frames as last year the bee's didn't seem to want to draw them.
so, apart from 1 frame, they were all foundation and the bee's were up there in no time!
1 week later they are drawn out and getting full. today I will put a 2nd super on with foundation and lemon grass oil again.

This year I used a couple of drops of lemon grass oil on the top bars of my super frames as last year the bee's didn't seem to want to draw them.
so, apart from 1 frame, they were all foundation and the bee's were up there in no time!
1 week later they are drawn out and getting full. today I will put a 2nd super on with foundation and lemon grass oil again.

Thanks, I will go find some today and try this.

you certainly dont need much! just a couple of drops, Oh, and BTW, i use food grade lemon grass oil.

where do you get lemon grass oil from as ive never seen it sold anywhere?
i bought from a local health food shop, and asked them if it was food grade and they told me yes.
i then rang the manufacturer to confirm and they did.
I think i have an earlier post with the details. however, i will find the name for you and post later.

Amazon... £6.24 for 100ml.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemongrass-100-Essential-Aromatherapy-100ml/dp/B000NNXVJ6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1303552499&sr=1-1-spell[/ame]

Is there much difference between food grade and the aromatherapy lemongrass oil?

"Absolute aromas" Lemongrass oil 100% pure 10ml for £4.39 from my local health store

Back