Getting foundation drawn out in mating nuc's ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavey100

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
80+
This is the first year I have used mating nuc's I followed all the advice kept my young nurse bees in the dark for 3 days kept misting with water etc and come to let them out they wouldn't fly at all they were all balled up in the feeding compartment they won't work the starter foundation strips has any one got any advice it would be much appreciated

If they fit into the feeder compartment - are there enough bees in there? When I used one I put in quite a few - more than a feeders worth...

Oh, and I cheated - instead of getting them to draw out foundation I cut up a frame and stuck it in...They took to it, and attached it all securely...

Or put your mating nuc frames into a super of a colony that is doing well, and let them draw your foundation out. Then transfer to your mating nuc once ready. Best done before you populate your mating nuc though...

You may cut a piece of comb to the nuc and glue it with melted wax to frame.
They fill it with sugar. (melt wax in metall jar)

When queen is mated, bees start to draw combs vigorously.

A piece of brood keeps a nuc calm.

handling free food in small colony may arise robbing.

You have 50 hives. You must have several yards. If you move bees to different yard, you need not mist them or make different thing.

If you use same bees as they reared the queens, there is no introducing problems.
Even finger size brood piece calms the nuc bees. Otherwise they may start to find better home and you loose the queen.

Oh, and I cheated - instead of getting them to draw out foundation I cut up a frame and stuck it in...They took to it, and attached it all securely...

You know, I'm not really sure that it is 'cheating' - after all, a mating NUC is a very artificial environment for a bee to find itself in ... at least, that's what I've been telling myself. ('cause I'm doing the same as you) :)

LJ

What did you give them as feed? I have a feeling that syrup encourages drawing comb better than fondant. They do fill the comb with the syrup though so I changed to fondant after they were let out.
Are you using young bees? Workers aged 10-14 days are at their peak for comb building.
Other Q's that I would agree with-are there enough bees? Is there a Q cell present.
Give it another try.
Good luck
Sorry just noticed that you specified young bees in your question.

Latest posts

Back