Gas Vap whilst feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vaped all mine last week. Winter treat.
Equipment now in storage for 12 months.
Do you not use OAV during the year at all, just during times hives are broodless (over winter). What do you use after honey supers are collected and honey removed. In the past I have used Apiguard in August/September, but was thinking of doing a series of OAV treatments then - not a good idea?

I plan to use OAV on any swams that appear at my apiary (last year I got lucky, caught 3 passing swarms).

Do you not use OAV during the year at all, just during times hives are broodless (over winter). What do you use after honey supers are collected and honey removed. In the past I have used Apiguard in August/September, but was thinking of doing a series of OAV treatments then - not a good idea?

I plan to use OAV on any swams that appear at my apiary (last year I got lucky, caught 3 passing swarms).

I ONLY use OAV once a year.
If doing mid year when there is brood, you have to do a series of vapes every 5 days to catch all the mites which are in capped cells - so 4 treatments.

I remove honey August and treat using thymol based treatments which stay in the hive for 4 weeks for the same reason.

If I were treating with supers on, I would use MAQS..(which is less hassle).

I dislike treating bees . If I had my druthers I would not but the consequences in local weather would be fatal (seen it often) and it would substantially reduce honey yields .. Vaping four times every 5 days is a PIA. I'm too old and broken down to do it.

In the past I have used Apiguard in August/September, but was thinking of doing a series of OAV treatments then - not a good idea?
On the contrary, a very good idea, many do - listen to them rather than those who dismiss it through a combination of ignorance and prejudice. In fact the only time I use OAV is late September time, seldom in the winter unless I suspect there may be a reinfestation.

I ONLY use OAV once a year.
Vaping four times every 5 days is a PIA. I'm too old and broken down to do it.
I have my system in place now, luckily The number of hives I have allows me to spend just an hour or two (Including travel) on each apiary and to do an apiary a day daily for three weeks (I do four vapes) - I allow myself plenty of time and once I start I almost go into automaton mode so a trip to one apiary is like a chillout, bimble down there, vape whilst enjoying my surroundings and clearing my mind, then bimble back home for tea and medals. It resets my mind and body work and leisure wise.

I’ve just been and vaped a colony that I couldn’t vape the other day, as I couldn’t get the bung out of the hole . I just had to return with the battery drill and redrill it and vape .
I vape once annually as I like to have my bees raise their winter bees and arrange their stores etc , without my interference!

Well that’s what I know. I was curious why you would vape only now because you didn’t want to interfere with the bees
As you know, I don't faff around with closing entrances and sealing every crack with tape when I vape. When I went around doing my September vape (especially with the great weather we had this year) vaping from below the OMF, I noticed that the bees, even in the fullest cloudiest point of the treatment never missed a step in their stride - it was 'business as usual' with bees arriving bach with full loads ant taking off light for their next foraging trip.

What difference would vaping make to the colony’s autumn housekeeping do you think?
I’ve a feeling it would put the brake on their routine until they have cleaned up the hive and each other ?
the biggest mite drop being days after vaping . It may not show but vaping has got to have an effect on the bees . There are casualties . The vapour leaves what ever the delivery system a high temperature.

Latest posts

Back