full length leather gauntlets ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I suggest that you have a look at the gloves sold by Old Castle Hives using 3D material on the backs. The same as their excellent suits.

This mantra that you need to have bare hands or only nitrile gloves to be a proper beekeeper really needs to be challenged. I fell for this when I started and ended up after a few years with a serious venom allergy.

Certainly many of the stings that lead to my allergy were due to inexperience, but that's what happens when you are new to beekeeping. It is really unfair for experienced beekeepers to "glove shame" newbies and the same goes for associations. If a beek needs/wants to wear leather gloves the solution is simple - a pair of latex gloves over the top.

I wear XL latex gloves over my leather gloves and change them between colonies (currently 6). I also change my hive tool btw.

Despite being allergic, I have not stopped keeping bees, but completed 3 years of bee venom immunotherapy a couple of years ago - allergy level is down to 9x normal from 150x normal.

I would also add that any loss of dexterity is more than made up by added confidence and the ability to concentrate without being concerned about stings. I can pick up queens for clipping or marking without damaging them. I do not squash bees with my gloves.

Tony
Just noticed - you beat me to it!

Totally agree. Each to their own. I started with leather but soon switched to " Marigolds", which I still use. The thing about leather is keeping it clean. I did find it reduced my dexterity

Agree with James: it's your bees that are the problem, not the gloves.

Where are you in Sussex? There's a beekeeper in West Sussex (Wisborough Green Division) who inspects without gloves, and has done so for years. Ask him how he keeps bees that allow him that freedom.

If not bare hands, long-cuff nitrile or Marigolds ought be enough, and that's to keep your hands clean and allow you to rinse between colonies in your bucket of washing soda mix.

At our training apiary leather gloves are forbidden, and I can't recall any beekeeper using them. Leather doesn't allow for delicate or flexible movement and leads more easily to crushed bees, and we know where that leads.

If you must:
https://www.niwaki.com/arm-covers/?...0X7X57PUWBbsgj9Z6rKKFOxmRoCfRcQAvD_BwE#P00071
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28563111...ar=587625961172&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
https://www.bjsherriff.co.uk/product/gauntlets/
https://www.bbwear.co.uk/beekeepers-gauntlets-spats-ankle-protection
Roger, I presume? For my tuppence worth, I find glovelets invaluable at preventing sweaty hands and smelly gloves, and they give a tiny bit more protection through the black (another myth it seems) marigold types I prefer for longevity and rinse/reuse in soda and bleach. One of my beginners has leather gauntlets and doesn't wash them - the bees are stinging his wrists before he's even 30m away - sting pheromone lingers.

Roger, I presume? For my tuppence worth, I find glovelets invaluable at preventing sweaty hands and smelly gloves, and they give a tiny bit more protection through the black (another myth it seems) marigold types I prefer for longevity and rinse/reuse in soda and bleach. One of my beginners has leather gauntlets and doesn't wash them - the bees are stinging his wrists before he's even 30m away - sting pheromone lingers.
I find that blasting any sting on the gloves (latex over leather in my case) with smoke disguises the phoromone and minimises further attacks while inspecting, and of course replacing the latex gloves between hives helps too.

Iinteresting, I find it makes little to no difference, besides kippering the odd agitated bee into befuddled stumbling shock. My gauntlets are just the standard elasticated cotton type, perhaps they and my friends similarly constructed ones as part if his integral leather gauntlets act more as sponge for venom and pheromone
I find that blasting any sting on the gloves (latex over leather in my case) with smoke disguises the phoromone and minimises further attacks while inspecting, and of course replacing the latex gloves between hives helps too

I wash my goatskin and cotton gloves regularly, I had a little sting activity on my gloves a couple of weeks ago and it surprised me. I walked away and gave them a rinse in a bucket of water I always have close to hand for removing spilled honey and things calmed. Strange thing is once again they went for my right hand only, I am a south port but use both hands equally when working around the hives. After handling a couple of caged queens last week in my left hand the bees were all over it and peacefully

Sounds like you might be better off replacing your queens than your gauntlets :D

I do wonder if the repeated stinging might be a response to alarm/other pheromones already present on the canvas though. Is it practical to wash that part without damaging the leather?

James
Oh isn’t this an interesting one ,I’ve gone 5 years without a sting full PPE all the time ,but two weeks ago I had my worse day of all ,I must of had 100 needles in my hand at the end ,left hand swelled badly - it looks like two hives in the same yard but not side by side ,but having opened one with angry bees and then opened another also angry enough to chase me out the yard and down the street as I drive ,seen nothing like it ,how ever each hive have a 2024 Queen and one made there own already this year - back to your gloves it’s your bees,I don’t wear gauntlets but do wear 2 pair of surgical gloves trying to avoid the stings

I use long nitrile gloves with sleeve protectors just to stop them crawling down into the glove.

IIRC one or two on here were using cotton gloves under nitriles
Aye, I find the glovelets invaluable at stopping my hands smelling like a sweaty condom factory, and the fraction if extra protection against stings without losing the ability to feel the bees is v welcome. I find gloves last a lot longer too, though totally anecdotal ofc, always glad not to waste more plastic

Aye, I find the glovelets invaluable at stopping my hands smelling like a sweaty condom factory, and the fraction if extra protection against stings without losing the ability to feel the bees is v welcome. I find gloves last a lot longer too, though totally anecdotal ofc, always glad not to waste more plastic

I was going to ask how you know what a sweaty condom factory smells like, but after consideration I've decided I'd rather not know :D

James

Latest posts

Back