frequency of autumn/winter supersedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i think i have had two colonies, which were queeright at apiguard treatment in late aug/early sept, superseded thereafter

i found one yesterday and am as sure as i can be that the queen marking i had done had not worn off

how often do people find late supersedure occurring in this manner at a time when drone numbers must be low etc?

i think i have had two colonies, which were queeright at apiguard treatment in late aug/early sept, superseded thereafter

i found one yesterday and am as sure as i can be that the queen marking i had done had not worn off

how often do people find late supersedure occurring in this manner at a time when drone numbers must be low etc?
I find many of my colonies have new queens in when I first open up in spring. Marked up quite a few new queens already this year.
Late August/September time is a favourite time to supersede for bees. also coincides with less frequent/in depth inspections which means you don't notice the supersedure until the following spring

I find many of my colonies have new queens in when I first open up in spring. Marked up quite a few new queens already this year.
Late August/September time is a favourite time to supersede for bees. also coincides with less frequent/in depth inspections which means you don't notice the supersedure until the following spring

and do you mark/record them as last year or this years colours/years?

I’ve found one this year. She’ll be down as 2021. I mark my queens with whatever I have. The marker in the box seems to be fluorescent green. Swarms get pink

and do you mark/record them as last year or this years colours/years?
last year's as it's obvious they're not this year's batch. Can sometimes confuse if you don't spot them early as a few years ago I had three generations of queens - mother, daughter and granddaughter happily coexisting until late summer

One out of 12 so far. Two yet to find so i’ll be looking for unmarked as well as marked. Looked a well mated queen from her size and not a v early spring supersedure. Like you not a hint of marking, quite surprised as the queen in this colony last autumn (September) was going great guns and was mated last summer, so a young queen .

I seem to have supersedure happening now.

Up to 30% I have documented in the past in an apiary of 30 hives.
All superseded after the second week in September, resulting bees being very dark and aggressive.

I’m pretty sure bee inspectors quote 30% of hives with 2 queens?….so must be more than that are replaced.

Or late swarming ?
Not sure they have plenty of space but seem to be less eggs being laid.
Very calm.
Some one with a lot more experience than me is coming over tommorow to have a look.
Let you know the outcome.

Latest posts

Back