Frames left partially filled?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt77

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Afternoon all, I've noticed in some of the super frames above the brood nest have maybe a third of the frame left empty in semi circle ringed with pollen. They have left this section empty for as long as the super has been on.

I'm not concerned but just interested as to why they do it. Is it because they are expecting the queen to lay in them?

Afternoon all, I've noticed in some of the super frames above the brood nest have maybe a third of the frame left empty in semi circle ringed with pollen. They have left this section empty for as long as the super has been on.

I'm not concerned but just interested as to why they do it. Is it because they are expecting the queen to lay in them?

I always take that as a sign that the brood area below is not big enough and add another brood box.
Cazza

I think they usually leave it like that for a 'larder'. They won't waste time and energy as well as resources to cap it and then uncap it if need the stores due to bad weather and then to then cap it again and so on. :)

.bees store pollen next to brood. Bees need pollen stores to feed larvae, when weathers do not allow continuous foraging. One brood frame of pupae needs equal one pollen frame in feeding.

I always take that as a sign that the brood area below is not big enough and add another brood box.
Cazza

:iagree: Think how it would be if there was no QX and the super was continuous with the brood frame below. That's how the bees want it.

(QX's are only for the convenience of the beekeeper, not for the convenience of the bees)

You could take the simple step of moving the QX up a box
(ie: go to brood and a half)

Thanks all, makes sense. I was thinking about going to brood & a half.

I use 3 brood boxes in summer, and no excluder.
In July keep main entrance wide open. Lowest box becomes cool, and bees full combs with pollen. Winter bees will be reared with that pollen store. My hives does not store pollen in honey frames, because they have enough room in lowest box.

Latest posts

Back