Frame Shaking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
So last year was my first full year and I was quite reluctant to shake all the bees off the frames during inspections as my thoughts were this would damage any brood/eggs, what did happen was I lost a swarm as I missed two queen cells, so my question is during swarm season should we be shaking all bees off during an inspection.

yes, to make sure cells are not hiding shake frames inside the hive. only if queen cells are found I mite add

Last edited:
only if queen cells are found I mite add

That was the problem I didn't find any queen cells until I had realised they had swarmed due to not clearing all the frames during an inspection.

I'll put it down to a big learning curve :hairpull:

That was the problem I didn't find any queen cells until I had realised they had swarmed due to not clearing all the frames during an inspection.

I'll put it down to a big learning curve :hairpull:

You can normally see queen cells when just generally inspecting. when found shaking is required to find all cells.

I was instructed to check for the presence of the queen on a frame before shaking - you don't want to risk damaging her majesty. If you find her, pop her into a cage and return her, in the cage, to the brood box where she will be safe. Shaking and checking for Queen Cells is then fairly straightforward.

CVB

You can normally see queen cells when just generally inspecting. when found shaking is required to find all cells.

Ok thanks need to pay more attention this year then, again thanks.

If you shake you could risk throwing the Queen larvae off the royal jelly
(you might need that larvae if the Queen is absent)
Some people use a brush or a feather or shake the frame upside down
A goose feather upsets them less than a brush
You can also touch them very lightly with the back of your hand to clear an area (thin gloves req)

Just make sure your nose isn't pressed against the mesh ready for a sting!

Just make sure your nose isn't pressed against the mesh ready for a sting!

I don't have that mesh problem, don't wear a veil, but good point as others might.

Back