Frame pins - Bulk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTrueman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy frame pins in bulk. I have been buying them in little bags of a 100 but I am getting feed up of losing them and never having enough.

I have tried my local builders merchant but not much luck there!

uses a staple gun from homebase. Fires 15mm nails/pins. Makes putting frames together so much easier than a hammer. Came in its own plastic case with a space for a box of 7500 pins. so that just stays in my kit box.

David

I have the same staple gun but haven't used it yet as I was worried that the pins are not galvanised or rustproofed in any way.

Do you think rust could be an issue for the bees or are frame pins just rustproofed so they don't weaken over time?

Some things are just not worth losing sleep over.

Q? How long will it take for a gimp non galv pin to rust through?

Q? If comb replacement is practised as seems the current fad in the south of the UK and due to fears of disease said replaced combs are burnt is one year long enough?

If glue is used in the frame construction and pins are used as "cramps" does it really matter if they rust away?

If glue is not used and things carry on in a natural way and the pins rust, and the frame becomes loose, and the eagle eyed beekeeper says time to change this one out by reason of too much drone comb.........

Does it really matter? To be honest no. Not much.

Use your tool! Machine tool laddie ...

PH

Thornes also sell 500g box's. We use an air nailer with 15mm galvanized brads,have some very old super frames,no probs with them falling apart.

I use the Thornes 500g box's,they are good value and worth the money.

Latest posts

Back