Frame of eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
Okay team.
How effective percentage wise (ish) would you say that placing a frame of eggs into a hive as a test for a queen is?
Just a thought for Sunday!
Andy

I have also just done this (2 days ago), so will know on inspection later today whether they are queen right or if they have produced emergency qc's. Will keep you posted.

It can be an indication whether or not the bees think they have a queen or not, but of course that "queen" could be a dlq or laying workers.... so just because they don't draw QC's doesn't mean all is well.

Just inspected and the test frame has 2 qc's in the process of being drawn out. They have royal jelly in them so I am assuming they are not queen right. I will leave them to continue and keep fingers crossed. Will keep you posted once again....

Don't bother. The bees clearly have it all sorted so all you should do is leave them to it, bar making sure that in a weeks time there are no more than two capped QCs in that hive that you wish to keep.

With a test frame the only definite indication is if the draw QC's - then they are Q-. If they don't draw QC's it's only an indication there may be a queen in there; but then again there may not - they don't always make QC's even though they may be Q-

Latest posts

Back