Frame Nails/ Gimp Pins - builders merchant options ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Frame Nails 3/4'' / 19mm / Gimp Pins

So i am nearly at the end of these nails that I was given.

Reading dave cushman's website he is/was happy with hammer and nails and I am small time so happy enough with old skool hammer

The sight of some folks with their stapler and their gruesome gallery put me off getting one !!

.....so do you folks buy "proper" beekeeping nails

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1819

or is there some building merchant equivalent for the savvy punter ?

Last edited:
I ran out of the Thornes frame nails with about half a dozen frames still to make up earlier this year. I used some veneer nails I had for the remainder. I'm sure they'll be OK, but I found that the veneer nails bent very easily and I spent about 3 x as long on each frame just straightening them so I could hammer them in. The frame nails are much more brittle (and do tend to break) but they don't bend easily.

I have found it the other way around Paul...what i have seen happen quite a lot with the pins you buy for making the frames is they have a habit of bending when they hit a hard part in the frame which results in them popping out of the side of the frame..i have never had it happen with the veneer pins i buy..

Time to move on... Makita DPD 353 + 18mm headless nails

SWMBO just loves it... 1000+ frames to go

Yeghes da

I have found it the other way around Paul...what i have seen happen quite a lot with the pins you buy for making the frames is they have a habit of bending when they hit a hard part in the frame which results in them popping out of the side of the frame..i have never had it happen with the veneer pins i buy..

Maybe my veneer pins were a bit soft. I could hardly tap them and they would bend. The air was blue by the time I had done those last 6 frames.

My £9.99 Lidl nail gun is still working away after 4 years.. and I have had no broken frames (but I glue and nail jumbo frames)

I use a rampin..... gimp pin pusher.
Less risk of finger damage.
Easier to nail a wedge at an angle.

I'd stick with gimp pins, they are coated.

They are coated with black something that makes no difference to using the veneer pins that do exactly the same job..i ran out of those misshaped worthless black gimp pins one time (1 in 5 need throwing away) and moved to the the veneer pins in my picture that work a treat..1 in 50 need binning but i can live with that..they do a better job in my limited wood butchering skills..:spy:

Use challenge gimp pins, Maisies sell them - 20x1.00mm (19g) I find the Thornes ones have loads of mis shapes in

Not only T's i have used two other places and both have a 5:1 bin ratio..maybe they are all ordering from the same supplier.. (China) ..:rolleyes:

Not only T's i have used two other places and both have a 5:1 bin ratio..maybe they are all ordering from the same supplier.. (China) ..:rolleyes:

CAn't recall rejecting even one from a challenge box, and I've gone through quite a few kilos over the years

Latest posts

Back