For the Welsh speakers...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been looking for inspiration for future brewing projects this evening and came across a beer from the Plassey brewery in Wrexham called "Cwrw Tudno". It's not quite fifty years since I last had Welsh lessons, but neither is it far off. I suspect this might translate as "Saint's Beer" or "Beer of Saints". Can anyone confirm/deny that, or provide a better translation?

James

Tudno is a saint's name, The patron saint of Llandudno and Cwrw certainly is beer so your beer is Tudno's Beer
:iagree: Cwrw Tudno is Tudno's beer.
Saint Tudno - was one of the sons of king Seithenyn who's kingdom Cantre'r Gwaelod according to legend now lies under the waters of Cardigan bay.

Thank you both. I don't recall ever being taught about him, but it's strange what sticks in the memory clearly (the words to Sospan Fach, for instance) and what becomes more of a mishmash of confused ideas. Anyhow, now I know I looked him up on Wikipedia where it says:

"Tudno studied at St Dunawd's college in the monastery of Bangor Iscoed, in order to make recompense for the drunken incompetence of his father"

which would seem to make naming a beer after him somewhat ironic :)

James

Thank you both. I don't recall ever being taught about him, but it's strange what sticks in the memory clearly (the words to Sospan Fach, for instance) and what becomes more of a mishmash of confused ideas. Anyhow, now I know I looked him up on Wikipedia where it says:

"Tudno studied at St Dunawd's college in the monastery of Bangor Iscoed, in order to make recompense for the drunken incompetence of his father"

which would seem to make naming a beer after him somewhat ironic :)

James
but if you read the story - it wasn't the 'drunken incompetence' of his father that led to the drowning of cantre'r gwaelod - but another Seithennyn who was guardian of the watergate who unfortunately got rather pished one night whilst at a party given by his mate King Seithennyn (as one does) and forgot to close the gates against a filling tide

Latest posts

Back