Fondant outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi - would be grateful for some advice again :)

My full colony is very active - bringing in pollen etc.

I gave them some fondant about a month ago as a precaution - I didn't know what their stores were like.

They didn't touch it for a while, but are now all over it.

Yesterday, Mr M said he saw some sugar outside the hive on the landing board. I'm sure I've read something about this somewhere but can't remember the significance :eek:

Does it mean that they're stored it and are now emptying the cells to make room for brood? If so, why are they still taking it down?

I haven't done an inspection yet, I'm hoping to have the chance this week.

Thanks
Mandy

well , they dont normally store fondant this time of year, could be crystalised ivy honey or old OSR crystals as uncapped

i have similar but on the varroa board and that from a hive that was on OSR so lots of sugar debris as they crack open the crystallised stores

Ah, that's interesting. I doubt it's OSR - don't think there's much round here, but there is plenty of ivy.

Thanks for replying :)

"Does it mean that they're stored it and are now emptying the cells to make room for brood?"

Yes, that's the answer to what I was asking myself earlier this week.....
Although I knew they didn't really need feeding I was so pleased to have made some fondant (with rosti's recipe) that I put a kilo on the hive last w/e. It was quickly taken down but some since re-appeared in neat rows of white crystals on the OM floor underneath outside frames.

I've been trying to rationalise what happened...!

Hi - would be grateful for some advice again :)
I gave them some fondant about a month ago as a precaution - I didn't know what their stores were like.They didn't touch it for a while, but are now all over it. Yesterday, Mr M said he saw some sugar outside the hive on the landing board. I'm sure I've read something about this somewhere but can't remember the significance :eek:

Thanks
Mandy

The thing about giving fondant is not to overdo it. Umpteen times I have seen posts where bods have bunged on 1kg. I put a half or less than that at regular intervals and I still sometimes find that the warmth of the cluster melts it sufficiently for some to drip right through to the concrete slab under the OMF (which I never close unless I am checking the mite drop). That is a sheer waste. Little and ofter is the order of the day but somebody will disagree, probably as always because of their ego, theirapiary is large and well away from home and that they have a day job too. Just ignore them

Latest posts

Back