Fondant on or off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The temp was up to about 13/14 today so I did a mini inspection on my three hives. All still have their insulation on and all still have a block of fondant on. I put pollen substitute on them all but was wondering if it was time to remove the fondant now? All three hives are still taking the fondant and look pretty strong with pollen coming in yesterday and today and all look to have stores in the comb.

What would people recommend? Is it time to remove the fondant or should I wait until I have done my first proper inspection and have confirmed the amount of stores?

leave it on so they can use it if needed.

If its on the hive then leave it bees can easily starve at this time of year.

The trick is to determine what stores are still in the BB.

Im in the same position as HM Honey, however, could I replace what little fondant is left with syrup ?

Thanks

I'm leaving mine on as there's no nectar sources yet....I was going to switch to 1:1 syrup this afternoon but it's still not as warm as i thought.

edit; just saw your post, shudder, matter of opinion I suppose but I'll stick with fondant for the next few days

Last edited:
Thanks boys. Glad I left it on now...lol

It was great to see them out today, collecting pollen. It's the first time I've seen them out this year as it's not been warm enough up here in sunny Wakefield...

if you have an eke with the fondant you could always put syrup on top of the fondant, then the bees can choose.

I'm leaving mine on as there's no nectar sources yet....I was going to switch to 1:1 syrup but it's still not as warm as i thought ME TOO ONLY GOING TO BE 7 OR 8 DEGREES AT THE MOST HERE THIS WEEK MAYBE NEXT WEEK I WILL PUT SOME SYRUP ON SOME

Yes it's easily warm enough to feed syrup if you need to. There are still cold nights but daytime the bees are active. You need fondant when bees are clustered round the clock because they lack mobility to reach syrup in a feeder. Of course fondant can also be used when it's warmer too.

It's definitely worth assessing whether they need feeding at all though. At present they have little or no brood so you might end up with a hive full of stores, and then when brooding does kick in the queen has nowhere to lay.

No nectar here.
Everything is so far behind.The hawthorns are not greening up yet....just in the odd spot and the blackthorns flowers have been little white spots just aching for that bit of warmth for weeks

If your bees are brooding, they will be collecting water to use to feed the brood. If they have enough stores of their own, they will need less water than if having to use fondant. You can now work out why thin syrup is the better option if the weather is now more spring-like.

RAB

Just going back to my earlier post. I have been leaving fondant through the winter for my bees to feed on, should they need it and they have, on and off. Over the last couple of these warm days, there has been a marked increase of activity with lots of pollen being brought in. I checked through my perspex crown board today and there are many more bees feeding on the fondant than ever before. I have not opened and inspected my hives yet, but could this be an indication that Q is laying and these are old and new bees, emphasise the new bees that are now feeding ?

If your bees are brooding, they will be collecting water to use to feed the brood. If they have enough stores of their own, they will need less water than if having to use fondant. You can now work out why thin syrup is the better option if the weather is now more spring-like.

RAB

This is what to look for.

You mention you have insulation still in place as do I - just wondered when it would be a good time to think about removing it. Temperature is fluctuating so wildly at the moment

I have both fondant and liquid in all my TBHs. Bees collecting water in good days. All syrup went over weekend..

We are going to have frosts so fondant for cold days.

Fondant

Earlier on this year or late last, someone posted an article by a beekeeper who leaves his fondant on all the time the bees need feeding and he does'nt use syrup at all of any streangth. I can't remember who posted it but it was a very interesting post.

Dave W

Earlier on this year or late last, someone posted an article by a beekeeper who leaves his fondant on all the time the bees need feeding and he does'nt use syrup at all of any streangth. I can't remember who posted it but it was a very interesting post.

Dave W

It could have been me......not sure.

I don't feed syrup as a rule (unless I perhaps take a swarm) and certainly only feed fondant in the autumn and through Winter.

Dave W

Not me but I have a copy of the article

Latest posts

Back