Fondant feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone just a quick one.. I looked at my fondant today its in a chinese dish over crownboard. They have nearly finished it all when i place a fresh one on crownboard do i place it over same hole or the other hole there is a bit of board over the other hole and loads of bees on frames under board so lots of bees both areas

Give them a good chunk on both. They will be using a lot now so keep an eye on it.

PH

Thanks 4 info p hive will do that yhey do seem 2 of gobbled it down this last week

Done as I suggest, you can just slide the package along with the following one in contact. Only the few bees in the old container to deal with.

You don't say at what rate they are taking it. If it is slowish, then no bother - just change them. If they are beginning to brood and they require more, it will soon be time for 1:1 sugar solution. They would need to be flying for water if brooding on fondant.

Of course, you can use the other hole if you wish. I just use the one hole because insulating around the container is a cinch.

One or two more weeks before giving any of mine a knee-up. Or they might need a lot of feeding before the first flow, especially if the weather were bad.

I reckon feeding bees for early expansion is an art left to those with several colonies, or with a little experience of the potential problems, not really for the one colony apiarist in their first year, so just let your bees develop steadily at their pace. Dependent on how much space they have may be a limiting factor for their expansion.

RAB

They seem 2 of eaten a lot more these last 2 weeks fondants been on about 5 weeks allthough hive dosent feel that light and still cappings under omf

If it is slowish, then no bother - just change them. If they are beginning to brood and they require more, it will soon be time for 1:1 sugar solution. They would need to be flying for water if brooding on fondant.
RAB

Hmmm. I have fondant on mine and there has been much activity, though not much pollen. Only seen one bee in the bucket with a roof tile in it and that was a ded one dropped by the undertaker...

Latest posts

Back