Floor dimensions with Top bee space (national)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
Please can anyone advise on the Floor dimensions (national) with Top bee space.

With Bottom bee space the floor to the bottom of the brood box is 22mm.

Does this 22mm need changing for Top bee space?

I intend to build a hive with Top bee space....any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

RichieDug

Why would this need to change?
The box dimensions remain the same whether top or bottom space.
I adapted a Thornes flat pack to top space and the upper space created is obviously subtracted from the bottom space.
Or perhaps I misunderstand the question.

No change. Never changed one yet. You and others might like to but I feel it unecessary. Wouldn't want a wider entrance than at present, for sure. If anything, I would reduce the entrance height!

Regards, RAB

depth below frames not crucial - can be bigger than 22 if you wish (35 in some dadants i think). problem lies in having different depth frames mixed together.

No change then...thanks for the replies, I am just starting out, building the hive this winter and will be getting my bees next spring.

Thanks again

No change. Never changed one yet. You and others might like to but I feel it unecessary. Wouldn't want a wider entrance than at present, for sure. If anything, I would reduce the entrance height!

Regards, RAB

I think perhaps it was meant that did the space need to stay the same and therefore then the box would have to be deeper. I cou;d be wrong, very often am:.)

Di.

Yep, he was only asking about dimensions for the floor.

Further the boxes(top or bottom space) are the same depth - either bee space at top or bottom - and you should not really have a bee space at both ends! Because one would have terrible trouble if one double brooded them!

When I made my floors recently (another thread) I mentioned that I considered leaving just an 8mm entrance but they were left @22mm because I doubted the strength of an 8mm riser from OMF to brood box. All my hives are now top space.

Regards, RAB

having used a floor that gave 8mm bee space under frames, i killed the queen when i shook the bees onto it

smoked and the queen went onto floor, shook bees off two frames into two frames space put a frame back and got that crunchy feeling, too many bees to disperse over floor, and killed the queen

so i would suggest more than 8mm is better

the 1960 national spec was 7/8 inch plus 1/4 inch from the brood bottom bee space or 22mm and 7mm

so 7mm to 29mm high floor riser, but 22mm would do

Back