Floor change

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44Whitehall

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 (1x local and 1x AMM)
I'd like to change my hive floors over from solid to open mesh, and thought about doing so this weekend (if the weather holds and the forecast of temperatures in the low to mid-teens comes true). Am I foolish in making the switch now? Is it too late or done gently should I be fine?

At the weekend I had bees flying though conditions were wet and blustery so the hives were quiet. I am in my first year and so not sure how to tell when the clustering is really starting and whether too. Inch movement now will be unduly disruptive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Should be fine .. you are not going to be disturbing the boxes unduly just swapping the floors .. the key to it is to move the hive as it is to one side and have the new floor ready to put where the hive was (you may need a spare stand to do it easily) then just split the floor from the brood box (you will probably find it needs a bit of leverage with your hive tool if it's been in place a while) and drop it on the new floor. You shouldn't even need to take the roof off. Simples ...

There will be a few bees looking at what you are doing but they will soon settle down. You can then use the stand you've just released from service for the next hive. ..

Thanks guys - encouragement and guidance are appreciated.

Bear in mind that your hives will be very heavy (assuming they are ready for winter).

Yea, Im thinking of changing my OMF to solid floors. I can still vapourise with oxalic acid if it wish. Fighting talk I know but if it is less breezy for the bees over winter all the better. Let the castigation follow!

All my hives will have the OMF either ...very reduced or the varroa trays will be in for the winter. It far too windy here for OMF all winter.

Don't think i would like it much if our house was up several feet off the ground, on stilts, with just a weld mesh floor, could be a bit cold on the feet on a freezing cold windy winters day.

Wouldn't like it much either if someone pumped a load of Oxalic vapour through the front door (or through the attic hatch) but then again, I'm not a bee............................

Wouldn't like it much either if someone pumped a load of Oxalic vapour through the front door (or through the attic hatch) but then again, I'm not a bee............................

Similar to Cod liver oil, it may not be nice at the time but it's good for you.

Hi 44Whitehall, I would do it in the spring less bees, not so bad tempered. Not a valid reason to disturb them in my book this time of the year. All the best.

Latest posts

Back