FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera for iOS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a fun device... not so impressed with the reviews... but if Santa takes me off the naughty step....
I might ask pretty nicely for one!!!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 40
I have the previous clip on model. Much more secure fitting and excellent images.

Sorry its taken a while to sort but pics attached.
You can clearly see where the bees are clustered.The Nuc pic I have played around with settings, which is simple with the camera.
They are of a wooden hive , a Paxxxnes poly hive and Nuc.
S
PS the 2 white dots on last pic are bees

Attachments

• FLIR0005 (002).jpg
    FLIR0005 (002).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0182 (003).jpg
    IMG_0182 (003).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0189 (003).jpg
    IMG_0189 (003).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0190 (003).jpg
    IMG_0190 (003).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 46
I live in an old stone and cob cottage. I might be horrified if I took your advice ;)

Well I was. The whole house glows :(

Back to the beehives.
The first two pictures are a Paynes and a Swienty, both poly, of course.
I have deep 25mm PIR roofs on these which I removed. The shallow under the pains has a hot spot but this is due to heating up in the sunshine.
As I expected, there is no apparent heat loss through the walls. There are a couple of spots on the brood boxes but they disappeared when I held the camera at a slightly different angle so I'm not convinced this is showing where the cluster is.
There is some heat loss from the side of the crown board. Both are wood framed polycarbonate topped with 50mm PIR
The last picture is a snap I took from under the OMF of just one seam of bees

Tomorrow I'm going to pop over to the association apiary to take some snaps of their wood hives

Attachments

• IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 23
Very interesting!

Side note: am I right in remembering horseshoe bats have great echolocation sounds? Quite tuneful.

All bats do don't they, well maybe not the fruit bats but all nocturnal species.

Yes, but when you listen to horseshoes through a bat detector they have a tuneful sound rather than clicks and slaps.

Very interesting!

Side note: am I right in remembering horseshoe bats have great echolocation sounds? Quite tuneful.

Yep partly right.
Horseshoe bats have a very melodious call when heard with a heterodyne detector. This type of detector replays a synthesised noise but bears little resemblance to the real call. Using a time expanded bat detector, this slows the sound down and replays the call as a continuous 'peep' and reflects the true call.
S

Last edited:
Well I was. The whole house glows :(

Back to the beehives.
The first two pictures are a Paynes and a Swienty, both poly, of course.
I have deep 25mm PIR roofs on these which I removed. The shallow under the pains has a hot spot but this is due to heating up in the sunshine.
As I expected, there is no apparent heat loss through the walls. There are a couple of spots on the brood boxes but they disappeared when I held the camera at a slightly different angle so I'm not convinced this is showing where the cluster is.
There is some heat loss from the side of the crown board. Both are wood framed polycarbonate topped with 50mm PIR
The last picture is a snap I took from under the OMF of just one seam of bees

Tomorrow I'm going to pop over to the association apiary to take some snaps of their wood hives

Good fun and useful aren't they?
Hope you had some winter fuel payment left after your purchase, its about to get chilly!
S

A ton of coal and enough wood to last us five years.......We'll be surrounded in a CO2 halo in our own little climate change

They are in a poly hive and not truly clustered
These bees are strange. They don't like being disturbed. I weighed them this morning and although they didn't come out they made a lot of noise.
I took a video under the OMF and the camera (and my hand, I guess) was underneath for only a few seconds before they broke ranks and came racing down to the OMF to get me.....so this is why you can see so many.

I took a shot underneath another one and the bees are quiet on the comb but fairly spread out

Latest posts

Back