FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera for iOS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are in a poly hive and not truly clustered
These bees are strange. They don't like being disturbed. I weighed them this morning and although they didn't come out they made a lot of noise.
I took a video under the OMF and the camera (and my hand, I guess) was underneath for only a few seconds before they broke ranks and came racing down to the OMF to get me.....so this is why you can see so many.

I took a shot underneath another one and the bees are quiet on the comb but fairly spread out
In other words Evil and a bit like mine, when i opened mine up yesterday to add feed one bee decided to fly at my veil and it was below zero, i had to knock it back down on the crown board where it stayed.

My thermal....

Top bar hive,,, colony is only covering 7 frames.IMGT0001.jpg

The TBH is facing North due to its limited placement, the colony was introduced mid July and rapidly expanded to just over 7 frames. I took a peek yesterday prior to thermal, to which I added some pollen mix.
TBH.jpg

In other words Evil and a bit like mine, when i opened mine up yesterday to add feed one bee decided to fly at my veil and it was below zero, i had to knock it back down on the crown board where it stayed.

i have four over winter nucs on 3x14x12 frames.......Three are like little pussy cats, docile. lovley bees and one Nuc are bees from hell. putting fondant on ends up it all out war....all queens rom the same batch of grafts and mated in same area

Is defensive behaviour at this time of year considered a bad thing? What are these colonies like at more favourable times, like during a flow? If the bees are normally ok, I'd forgive them for protecting themselves at a crucial time like Winter.

My experience of hives in temperatures under 4C that behaviour depends where they are. If deep on the combs? OK. If on top of the combs? Possibly bad.

It's 5C here today and not raining so a few toilet flights...Bees not bad tempered when I added patties.

Is defensive behaviour at this time of year considered a bad thing? What are these colonies like at more favourable times, like during a flow? If the bees are normally ok, I'd forgive them for protecting themselves at a crucial time like Winter.

It was just an observation as the others are quiet. They were fine last year. They are from a mutual friend who has given me advice not to be concerned. I might let Stan do the first inspection ;)

As long as they don't follow, those are the buggers I don't like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As long as they don't follow, those are the buggers I don't like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The ones I detest are those who have "seek and destroy" programs so they find you before you go near them....
been there, requeened them..

Latest posts

Back