Flat pack hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the screws in when the glue is wet. However, this weekend I made one with glue only - it is absolutely solid. I use Titebond III glue which is very strong.

If you can put together flat-pack furniture, and read the instructions fully before starting to assemble, you'll have no problems.And the 'dry run' is a good idea.

Many newbies would strongly disagree with you! The instructions supplied are in the main crap and in the case of one supplier dimensionally incorrect. Understanding key features such as bee space both at the top of the box and at the bottom of the box is fundamental to correct assembly. Having bits of timber that are not the shape of a hockey stick also helps.

IKEA and the like are IMHO light years ahead in the clarity of their instructions and assembly sequences.

Where can I puchase a flat pack national manufactured by IKEA? !!
:hat::hat::hat:

John Wilkinson

Where can I puchase a flat pack national manufactured by IKEA? !!

If only...

I reckon there is at least enough material for a multi-page article on national hive assembly gone very wrong. Some things I've seen beginners do this year I would have never even considered possible, let alone performed by people who have actually seen a hive fully assembled (correctly)

I also observed frame assembly techniques that would totally preclude future foundation replacement and who also didn't know how to get bees out of the bottom of a nuc box when the frames had been transferred to a brood box. But these last two were not the actions of a beginner... but a beekeeper with a number of years experience. :banghead:

Let's face it , some people are sadly lacking in cognitive skills:(.
Back in the fifties, whilst doing basic training in the RAF, we had a guy in our flight who had to have his tie knotted for him (sometimes 4 times daily) for the whole 8 weeks . Clip on ties weren't available , the poor guy used to panic as we were often given 2 mins to change from sports gear to best blues/ working blues/ fatigues etc.
The guy wasn't thick but just couldn't grasp the (simple to others) technique :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

Just seen your response post MrB. No special tools other than a full ikea tool kit - that'll be a hammer and screw driver. I see DulwichGnome had the same suspicions as I did on the supplied glue - hence the suggestion to purchase some waterproof PVA of known providence! Oh and I bottled on the nails, I pre-drilled and used screws. Wld not by a first again unless I needed it urgently. Wait for the sales, you have plenty of time. R

I bought a 'Bees on a Budget' National from Thornes and as a novice beek I managed to put it together without to much bother- but as others have suggested, fit it together first then get out the glue and nails - and make sure it's square first. Mine is a little off kilter between the supers and brood boxes and I will make sure I have some clamps and a square next time. It's perfectly servicable but it could be better!

I didn't use much glue and there were quite a few knots- anyone know if either of these issues will present a problem in future?

John

Mine is a little off kilter between the supers and brood boxes

Use the term 'added character' or 'rustic appearance' works when explaining most of my DIY bodges to the superior half.

Latest posts

Back