Five Meter Crawl !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Marked and clipped Carniolian queen must have crawled 5 meters over rough ground into an empty bait hive..... unless the swarm she left with carried her there!

MUST have followed a Leyline or something very mysterious is going on?

:nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013:

Never had the urge to butcher my live stock.:nature-smiley-013:
However, I always thought "clipped queens" could fly, just not very far?

I though that about clipping wings, but it does seem like a useful thing even if you are managing them. They will still get ready to swarm, even if the queen can't fly. That means less honey, as they are all hanging around waiting to go with the swarm.

They can fly, when the wings are clipped there is still enough wing to fly with, not far perhaps. I'm looking at using nail clippers next time I clip wings, as it can be done much closer.

Nail scissors maybe, nail clippers NO. You need a clean shearing action and not a squeezing action that may, with an imperfect blade, cause tearing.

Clip only one wing so that flight is asymmetric and queenie spirals into the ground rather than flies harder to make a little distance. They seem to know and still be there when virgins are about to emerge.

flies harder to make a little distance.

Yup! 5 metres, even in a spiral, is not a great distance for her to achieve before crash landing and crawling the last bit.

Latest posts

Back