First swarm!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikstryker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi all! im very new to keeping bee's. my girlfriend has had a hive for about 6 months now and i just got a couple hive boxes for myself. just the other day we had a swarm come into the garden and by the time i got my hive from the local bee store and back to the garden they were gone! i was bummed, so my girlfriend let me take some of her bee's and place them in my hive body. were not sure if this is okay or not but it has been three days now and the activity in my hive is increasing. yesterday though the swarm came back! so we went back to the bee store and got yet another hive body, i just went and checked on them this evening and the swarm we just caught is still in the hive and starting to draw comb! awesome! so thats my story. very excited about all this.

hi all! im very new to keeping bee's. my girlfriend has had a hive for about 6 months now and i just got a couple hive boxes for myself. just the other day we had a swarm come into the garden and by the time i got my hive from the local bee store and back to the garden they were gone! i was bummed, so my girlfriend let me take some of her bee's and place them in my hive body. were not sure if this is okay or not but it has been three days now and the activity in my hive is increasing. yesterday though the swarm came back! so we went back to the bee store and got yet another hive body, i just went and checked on them this evening and the swarm we just caught is still in the hive and starting to draw comb! awesome! so thats my story. very excited about all this.

Hello, Erik, but what do you mean by placing some of her bees in your hive? Did you split her colony?

But well done on getting a swarm. Much warmer where you are, so I hope we don't get any swarms yet...

Welcome to the forum when you transferred some bees to your new hive I presume they had a queen or had a queen cell or was this a walkway split where they are expected to raise there own queen ? Good luck with the swarm quite an achievement to successfully house them at the first attempt. Please monitor the swarm to make sure they are healthy as if not they can spread disease to your apiary. If you are successful the swarm is a good way to start a hive as the bees are in wax building mode but as you know the queen may be old so monitoring for brood build up over the coming weeks is important. Best wishes in your beekeeping it is a great hobby.

Hello, Erik, but what do you mean by placing some of her bees in your hive? Did you split her colony?

But well done on getting a swarm. Much warmer where you are, so I hope we don't get any swarms yet...

yes we split the colony, in hopes they would make a new queen.

Welcome to the forum when you transferred some bees to your new hive I presume they had a queen or had a queen cell or was this a walkway split where they are expected to raise there own queen ? Good luck with the swarm quite an achievement to successfully house them at the first attempt. Please monitor the swarm to make sure they are healthy as if not they can spread disease to your apiary. If you are successful the swarm is a good way to start a hive as the bees are in wax building mode but as you know the queen may be old so monitoring for brood build up over the coming weeks is important. Best wishes in your beekeeping it is a great hobby.

smorning, yes we were splitting the colony in hopes of them making a new queen. you bet ill be monitoring the new swarm, cant keep my eyes off the whole bee keeping thing. i love it! i think we are going to do some type of treatment in the next week on all our hives to keep the mite population down. as of now there are no mites, maybe one or two which i am under the impression there will always be a couple lingering. thank you for your kind words. oh i did check the new swarm this morning. they were busy doing work at the bottom of the center frames, thats where the brood will be right?

Latest posts

Back