First queen rearing book?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello hello…

What would people suggest is the best first queen rearing book to get for me to read between inspections and frame building this season? (ok, when I SHOULD be frame building!).

B+ in another thread suggested to me "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by HH Laidlaw.

Any other suggestions that really cover the basics and onwards?

Basic use of an apidea… mating nucs, queen introduction etc...

So far there is no Haynes Queen Rearing Manual!

Thanks all…

BJD

There are lots of free pdfs to download and read through.

books:
I have Eigil Holm ' Queen breeding and genetics"
and Snelgrove Queen rearing

I have not done any rearing of queens yet though.

There is a sticky on this forum section I think too.

B+ in another thread suggested to me "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by HH Laidlaw.

The Laidlaw book is quite old and a lot of the modern books use B&W photos from it. The David Woodward book ( Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing & Breeding) is a pretty good intro but it wont take you as far as Laidlaw

I have the Eigil Holm book too but found it a little lacking in detail (perhaps that is just me)

Last edited:
Cool thanks… I shall also have a good look at said sticky post.

Cheers

BJD

The Dave Cushman/Roger Patterson website was recommended to me.

The Dave Cushman/Roger Patterson website was recommended to me.

The amount of information in that site is mind-boggling - start here for the queen-rearing stuff. I've decided to use the Ben Harden method - simple with no special boards, although the Snelgrove route probably is more effective.

2 hives and reading commercial queen breeding. Not very great idea.... But for future!

I move good larvae to the swarming cells, and results are really good for my needs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back