First post in this forum. Greetings from Bristol area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1arbs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I've been looking at this forum from time to time but only recently registered.

I should mention that I used to work in the microelectronics industry and then helped run a B&B until last year so time on beekeeping was limited until recently.

I've been keeping bees since 1990 when I moved to our current house. It was at the time of the major housing crash and the only practical idea the bank manager could come up with! I now run my own taster courses and sell nucs on a limited scale, so after many years the hobby does pay for itself.

I also run branch courses and am part of the branch mentoring programme for beginners.

In terms of qualifications I took all 8 of the modules in 1998-2000 and General Husbandry 3 years ago.

Did try for the BBKA Advanced Husbandry, which I should have walked through as I had an assessor help me in the preparation, but for some reason must have fell foul of the BBKA way of doing things or else they just got mixed up, and the feedback was more confusing than enlightening.

Am planning on taking the Microscopy exam this year and have been coordinating a microscopy study group for the branch over the last year where the aim is we all teach and learn microscopy together. This has been consolidated by a very useful NDB Microscopy weekend course which helped fill in gaps in our knowledge.

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

I'm hoping to do my module 1 as soon as possible, can you think of any books that I should be reading?

M

Welcome to the forum!

You have clearly been very diligent in your studies, well done. Hope the next goes very well for you!

Kind regards,

A

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

I'm hoping to do my module 1 as soon as possible, can you think of any books that I should be reading?

M
Mellifera397,

Everyone has a copy of Yates but the books I recommend to Module 1 students are:

Guide to Bees and Honey (5th. edition) (2010) by Ted Hooper

Practical Beekeeping (1997) Clive de Bruyn

The BBKA Guide to Beekeeping I Davis/R Cullum

All are good but Ivor's book is the most recent and is laid out well.

Also read around the subject as much as possible and make sure your knowledge is up to date, especially on disease and legislation. Hopefully your association will have a library you can use. Remember the examiner is looking for answers in your own words. They have read the textbooks anyway and will recognize answers regurgitated from them.

If you are studying on your own and can afford it, the BBKA correspondence course is good and helps keep you motivated. (I'd better disclose here that I am a tutor).

Finally, check the exam dates carefully. The BBKA have returned to two sessions a year but in some cases if you miss a module you may have to wait 18 months for another opportunity.

Hope this helps!

Thanks I've got all the books mentioned, yippee and am in contact with our club librarian.

Thanks

N1arbs

Latest posts

Back