First inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donks87l

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I transfered my first Nuc today into the hive. I couldn't spot the queen but most bees happy to follow in the hive so not to worried.
But when is the best time to do the first inspection of the hive?

Give them time to settle in, depending on how much space they have and brood I would give them at least a week if not two and probably a super so that the BB isn't congested with nectar.
If any frames are fiiled with stores push them to the edge of the colony and if you wish place a frame of foundation between the brood splitting the brood area , they will draw the comb pretty quickly .

Forage is good out there at the mo, though it does seem to vary a bit .

My garden colony is on six supers two for space and four are 60/70 % filled, in addition the same colony yesterday I have removed two full supers and a BB ssuper to extract . As the crow flys not more then 1km away in another garden my bees have four supers two nearly full and two hardly started a stark contrast between the two.

Last edited:
I transferred 6 frames, 2 full of honey one drawn out comb rest looked like capped larvae. I put in two blank foundation frames. I put some syrup in a feeder to help draw some comb out.

There's a flow on, they definitely don't need syrup - especially as you have two frames of stores there anyway.
Don't put a super on until they have drawn out all the foundation.
You should be looking at supering when you have 7-8 frames full of brood, unless they are totally honeybound

Simply watch them and determine how busy they are foraging , if the forage at the mo continues it won't take long to draw out the comb. It really depends on how good your flows are.

Might be worth a quick peek in three or four days just to see how well the comb drawing is going so you can keep ahead of them . There will be little point in a full inspection.

OK thanks, I have a second box to put on when ready so my plan was (if its a good one) was to add the second whe drawn out on the new frames

There's a flow on, they definitely don't need syrup - especially as you have two frames of stores there anyway.
Don't put a super on until they have drawn out all the foundation.
You should be looking at supering when you have 7-8 frames full of brood, unless they are totally honeybound
Sorry i was a bit unclear, I meant I only put the empty box on for the syrup to sit in on top of the crown board

A few tips. Think why you want to inspect. Think what you are going to do if you find what you are inspecting for. Think what you are going to do if you don't find what you are looking for. When inspecting keep an eye open for the unexpected. Don't deal with the unexpected on the spur of the moment. When you have completed what you went in to do, close the hive up and consider how you are going to deal with anything unexpected you found when you next inspect. Write down what day that inspection is due and then take a day off so that you have three days, the day before, the day of, and the day after to pick a good weather window.

Latest posts

Back