First inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubanflyer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I am new to beekeeping and have just come through my 1st winter, with what I assumed was a weak colony due to swarming last and restrictions on getting help due to corona virus.

I am seeing activity from the hive bees collecting pollen etc, but I have not yet opened the hive due to the cold weather. When should I start to think about that first inspection?

I am interested to find out how strong the colony is, after my first summer and losing at least 2 swarms due to inexperience.

I see you are in Stoke.
I am in Wales and I won’t be opening the colonies until the dandelions are out, the bees are actively foraging every day and the daytime temperatures are up around 12-15 consistently. Looks like a good few weeks yet.
That first inspection doesn’t have to be that thorough. I’d wait till the weather is better to have a good look.

Many new beekeepers are tempted to look as soon as the sun comes out.
If the queen is damaged or squished, it is likely the hive will not survive. It is not worth the risk.

You can also ask, other than a food check (heft), what would be the purpose of the inspection at this time of year?

It is better to wait.

The most important thing to know at this time of year is, do they have enough stores? Queen will be ramping up laying rate and they will be getting through them. Check the weight and leave them alone, unless they are low and you give a feed. Then as per Dani advises above.

I did an inspection last week when it was warm and I'm glad I did. I took off the block of fondant I put on at the start of winter and also noticed the floor had a huge build up of dead bees so today whilst it was very warm I lifted the hive off the floor and cleaned it all out.
There ended up being a lot more than I realised so I think it was definitely the right thing to do, the bees were very calm about me being there and were still hard at work bringing in pollen after I left.

First, check if there are lots (relatively) of orientating bees early in the afternoon. That may indicate how much brooding is going on. Check for cappings from emerging bees - that, too, can provide info on how many frames are being brooded on.

As above, stores is important. A severe cold spell can mean starvation - even if there are lots of stores - if the bees have to cluster on the ‘wrong’ side of the hive.

Hi

I am new to beekeeping and have just come through my 1st winter, with what I assumed was a weak colony due to swarming last and restrictions on getting help due to corona virus.

I am seeing activity from the hive bees collecting pollen etc, but I have not yet opened the hive due to the cold weather. When should I start to think about that first inspection?

I am interested to find out how strong the colony is, after my first summer and losing at least 2 swarms due to inexperience.

I am in Northern Stoke(Biddulph)
Pm me if you want to talk or need help

Mike

I did my first inspection today. 19 degrees.
Noted one stroppy hive that I will kill queen and combine when weather is here for keeps.
Noted one hive super strong with full brood box and plenty of drone brood. This is the one I will watch carefully for swarming. Didn't fully inspect any, just noted plenty of food left despite not using any fondant this year, plenty of worker brood in all hives and now I can make plans for later in the season.
All mouse guards removed
E

Noted one stroppy hive that I will kill queen and combine when weather is here for keeps.

The queen apologises and would like one more chance please ... she points out it is only March ... she hasn't really woken up yet properly ... maybe if you could bring her a coffee ?

Last edited:
Looked through two of mine today as they were the ones I was concerned about. One became very low on stores but has plenty of brood and nectar on the frames. The other seemed to go queenless at the end of last year but there is brood and a Q, and an obvious open Q cell so it must have superseded very late.

Not only drone brood but a drones flying today, one hive had a dozen or so outside so I'm guessing this years?

First opening up of my hive today. Removed nadired super and just had a check to see some eggs on one frame. Didn't have time for a full inspection.

Was enough to piss off the ladies though. Fully 10 minutes after inspection had finished and about 50 yards form the hive a couple of the girls came over to have a go. One got caught in my hair and presumably was giving off enough pheremone another zapped me on the forehead. Last year one sting total. This year one on the first day. Oh well.

Now to let them build up a bit, slap a brood box of foundation over them and go for a vertical split. Or that's the beginner's plan anyway. Having to convince my beekeeping partner that no we don't need to feed fondant and syrup *all* year, not if we want honey. I'll be glad when we get a split and I can have a box to manage solo, whether I do better or not.

Is there anything good at masking the alarm pheremone if you get stung to prevent more and more arriving? At this point my smoke was out of I'd have given myself a few fragrant puffs.

Is there anything good at masking the alarm pheremone if you get stung to prevent more and more arriving? At this point my smoke was out of I'd have given myself a few fragrant puffs.
I keep a can of air freshener in my bee kit, mainly for combining, but it's also handy for giving yourself a squirt if you get a sting - smells better than the smoke too.

I have just made (in the last few weeks) some crown boards with clear perspex/plexiglass/acrylic panels instead of plywood. I have been ever so pleased at the results, because it is so easy, and fascinating, to watch the bees without disturbing them. They can be observed, or fed (with a hive-top feeder), regardless of whether it is a warm day or a cold day, because it is not necessary to move the crown board.
I think that clear crown boards should be a priority item for hobby beekeepers who wish to observe their bees.

Air freshener?

I have just made (in the last few weeks) some crown boards with clear perspex/plexiglass/acrylic panels instead of plywood. I have been ever so pleased at the results, because it is so easy, and fascinating, to watch the bees without disturbing them. They can be observed, or fed (with a hive-top feeder), regardless of whether it is a warm day or a cold day, because it is not necessary to move the crown board.
I think that clear crown boards should be a priority item for hobby beekeepers who wish to observe their bees.

Try cleaning them when a few years old (just in the middle of doing that)

Lots of us do and the ingenuity of beekeepers in repurposing other materials knows no bounds. Polycarbonate is popular.

Latest posts

Back