Finding the Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest way to find the Queen is leave your marking kit at home!

I do wonder if good colour vision has a role in this. I have fairly bad red/green colour blindness. I can find the queen only around 1 in 5 times.

I do wonder if good colour vision has a role in this. I have fairly bad red/green colour blindness. I can find the queen only around 1 in 5 times.

same her, I use Yellow as the colour to mark my queens ;)

Contrast is the most important factor but the colours fade anyway. White soon becomes a beigey colour, which blends in much easier. I'll be going for bright pink, unless I'm selling a nuc.

you did say about the pink on sunday where do you get the pink pen from?
I use white but find I have to re-mark as it fades/comes off

Age may be a factor. Our associasion has a "virtual hive" and when I work through it at shows, the kids are usually far quicker at spotting the drones on a frame than the adults. The queen is clearly marked, so she isn't a challenge at all!

Jc

VEG said:
you did say about the pink on sunday where do you get the pink pen from?
I use white but find I have to re-mark as it fades/comes off

I've used white but don't find it ideal for the same reason. I was going to have a look in some Arts & Crafts shops. It was DrS who mentioned this idea and I think he'll know.
Ironically (as stated above) I went home to inspect the bees and spotted the queen in my moody colony and did not have a pen with me :rolleyes:

Just did a quick search...
http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/acatalog/Div_Uni_POSCA_Markers.html?gclid=CNDJuemX7q8CFcQKfAodvT9Szg

Last edited:
just found some pink pens on eee bayyy

Do a search for uni posca 5m pink

Latest posts

Back