• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

finding local keepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myhopper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi all, 1sy post so will be as honest as poss, im not a bee keeper, have worked with a keeper yearsssss ago for a while and enjoyed it, would love to now, but the mrs childcare business wouldnt allow it...

im looking for local, or the closest private individual/farm keepers, main reason is i keep parrots and cockatoos, and im looking to start feeding them pollen, i'd love to find a local source where i could see their set-up and where the stuff comes from etc, (or not so if security fears were apparent if large set-ups etc) but spending my money locally would be preferable, rather than buying online and worrying about postage costs too, would be buying a fair whack quite often if i get the right source and price etc,

i keep anything from 20-40 nbirds at a time, and the talked of feed is 25-35gms of bee pollen a day each, so this would soon mount up to nice sales if someone was interested

oh btw, im based in vale of glamorgan, south wales, so hoping the south can offer some help to me with this!?

thanks

Mike

Hi, welcome, but can i say good luck in your quest. Guess someone on here may be able to help but most beekeepers in this country, i think, produce, bees, queens, honey, honey products and wax/wax products. Not aware that anyone would be able to harvest enough pollen for what you'd want. Pollen is required to rear new bees and if harvested, can only be done sporadically on any one hive.
mind you, what do I know, new to this myself also:.)

Good luck:.)

im looking for local, or the closest private individual/farm keepers,

The most obvious contact point is your local BKA.

Or you might note the addresses of the suppliers (on jar labels) of local honey around your area.

It would need to be someone with a somewhat larger set-up for that amount of pollen you are likely to be needing - 175-400kg per annum!. How much does it cost (delivered) at present?

hi, thanks for the welcome and info, sounds like i could be on to a loser here then, lol, even if i periodically managed to source some for feeding every now and then, maybe around breeding season for 3 months a year it would be better than nothing, im unsure of price tbh, been told it could be 10-15 quid a kilo in health shops etc, but obviously id hope these were inflated prices for the health and fitness industry!? thus finding someone locally would hopefully see that price half!?

i will take a look at some locally produced honey etc and see what i can come up with, and obviously keep checking back here incase i hit a possible winning reply lol

thanks again

hi, thanks for the welcome and info, sounds like i could be on to a loser here then, lol, even if i periodically managed to source some for feeding every now and then, maybe around breeding season for 3 months a year it would be better than nothing, im unsure of price tbh, been told it could be 10-15 quid a kilo in health shops etc, but obviously id hope these were inflated prices for the health and fitness industry!? thus finding someone locally would hopefully see that price half!?

i will take a look at some locally produced honey etc and see what i can come up with, and obviously keep checking back here incase i hit a possible winning reply lol

thanks again

Err no . £10 a kg of pollen is very cheap ( or would the budgies say cheep cheep ! ) I'll get my coat.

Google.. bee well products,they sell packs of pollen.

2112- 4.166 x 6=24.996 Kg. Pure Wild Flower Bee Pollen Granules

25 Kilos of Pure Wild Harvested Bee Pollen Granules, 100% Pure Bee Pollen, harvested during the beekeeper season (April, May and June), dried with gentle heat (<40C.) by commercial beekeepers and instantly packed in food grade plastic bags (25/kg and 50/kg). The Pollen has not been submitted to any other treatment such as irradiation etc. and doesn’t come from cross pollination or genetically modified organism crops.

Or give Cardiff beekeepers a call search for them on google

Welcome to the forum, as Veg says but there's also the Welsh BKA and Nature's Little Helpers are at Llanishen.
We're not too far away in Gwent but don't think any of our keepers harvest pollen commercially.

Russ

Latest posts

Back