Few long brood chambers versus several short ones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
G'day everyone

In my country of residence, most beekeepers use two brood medium-sized chambers instead of one large brood chamber, for brood. However, I notice that in the UK many people use a single large brood chamber, and I wonder what would be the preference, all things being equal.

I understand that there are many reasons for one's choice, but some of those reasons don't apply to me (e.g. someone might be very short and not able to pick up a large frame, and hence prefer short brood chambers, but... I'm not short).

So, if you could have an endless and free supply of frames and comb, and if your beekeeping method did not involve moving the hive several times in a season, and if you were as strong as an ox and tall as a horse (or rather: if the weight and height of the frames would not be an issue for you)... would you prefer to have:

(a) three small brood chambers,
(b) two medium sized brood chambers, or
(c) one large brood chamber?

Please assume that these three these options yield a brood chamber of roughly the same size.

Thanks
Samuel

One large box so there are fewer frames to look at on a full inspection. I run National 14x12 for this reason.

After many years of experimenting the best producer was after all... the Glen hive, a fifteen bar double wall monster using D.N.1 frame standard frames. A favorite of my Grandfather and as a static unbeatable.
For the record No19 during the season 1973 produced 200lbs at the start of July followed up by another 100lbs at the close... I cant get near that with any single wall hive

Its advantage was in the length of the brood chamber which reduced swarming, superceeding was more common as there were less over crowding. the huge covered ramp allowed for better cooling and ventilation. Can be modified to take a varoa trap.
When it came to getting going in a season the bees would build up in a column as usual populating the suppers quicker but also had the advantage in the length of the brood box to allow a bigger brood nest in summer. We had 3 to 4 lifts full of honey most years that's 45 bars at 3lbs a bar... beat that Mr National.

I currently have Nationals, Deep Nationals, Langstroth and National commercial.... wish Pa hadn't sold all the Glens we went mobile...madness

My Father liked the National commercial big brood area.. but short lugs.
He had wormit commercials as well they were even more unwieldy as the inner lip was generally impossible to get past without wrecking frames needed expert handling.

I used the Langstroths with modified supers British standard, however they are poor starters for some reason just can't get them out of the brood box quick enough, oilseed rapes almost always over before they get going.
Numerous cases of isolation starvation this year as there was plenty of food on the same frames at the outer limits but just not warm enough to move, so if they chomped the supply of candy before I got back in they'd had it.

The deep national 14 x 12 is best at over wintering deep frame allows bees to cluster better. More provision for food on the frame less isolation starvation. Nice long lugs for handling less chance of squashing bees

The trusty national probably the best single wall hive just about right for wintering and getting started again in spring brood size. Needs more monitoring for Candy in winter. Nice long lugs for handling less chance of squashing bees

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back